Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vaniya

Blog Entries

Default Vaniya

Hey guys,

I decided it's been long enough since I started work on mapping the entirety of the Vaniyan continent and that it is time to get back to it.

So for the last few days I've been working on the basic framework of the map. I tried chopping and pasting the border from my Vaniya Redone map as I want this map to be pretty much in the same style. But as the size of the map is bigger I just couldn't get it to work. So I ended up redrawing the border from scratch which took me TOO long.

Then I resized my previous version and altered some of the landmass to a more pleasing shape. I've had to completely redraw the whole coastline as the few times it's been resized has left it far too soft and pixelly. I slightly softened some of the crunchiness from the original Vaniya map in the process but I didn't want to change too much. So there is a little disconnect between the coastline copied from the original and all the new stuff, which is less crunchy and more angular but meh, I can live with that.

I also had to redraw all the rivers for the same reasons as the coastline.

I've given it some temporary runs from some of my workflow to give it some definition on the coasts etc. Colours, shading etc. are not final.

Anyway, here is where I am at currently...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vaniya.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	105821

The image is at 12.5% size. The finished map will be A0 size.

Next up is to get the mountains in. I've already got a blueprint for positioning to work from so I'm hopeful it won't take too long. Once they are in I can get the rivers sorted for the top side of the map. Once they are in I think I am pretty much over the worst of it and the map should be much less of a chore to finish.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

*takes a deep breath*

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! It's a new Ramah map!!!! Oh, happy day! I seriously, massively admire your work, your maps have been among my biggest cartographic inspirations of all time. I shall be watching this very closely to see what happens. Already loving the colors and the shape of the continent.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Expert

This is super exciting! Like Kelleri I am a huge fan of yours since long before I ever even dreamed of making my own maps so I nearly jumped out of my seat when I saw you were starting a new wip and it looks great so far. Can’t wait to follow along and see it progress.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Watching this!

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleri View Post
    *takes a deep breath*

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! It's a new Ramah map!!!! Oh, happy day! I seriously, massively admire your work, your maps have been among my biggest cartographic inspirations of all time. I shall be watching this very closely to see what happens. Already loving the colors and the shape of the continent.
    Not a single word to add (Kelleri, could you please stop eating my brain ?).

Amazing! I'm keeping an eye on this one!

Guild Journeyer Guild Sponsor Arkidemis's Avatar

I'll be eagerly waiting for any updates. Looks great so far!

Yyeeaaahhhh, I can see how redrawing that would be insanity-inducing. The result is great though! As far as minor differences - meh, fuggetaboutit. Maps aren’t themselves ground-truth which there’s presumably only one of (Zuiderzee? What Zuiderzee??). They’re pictures of some (in-milieu) real geography, and ya know how different mappers get different levels of exactitude, ja? Precise agreement among different versions is actually suspicious... was somebody just <gasp> CoPyInG instead of drawing something new? Perish the thought! So embrace the minor differences and just be glad “both old cartographers” understood rivers and got them pointed the right way. Plenty of real antique maps that somebody paid good coin for had horrific errors.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Kelleri, could you please stop eating my brain ?
    No.

Seriously though, I am so happy to see you making a new map, Ramah - for a while there I was afraid you'd given up mapping for good.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Hot stuff

Until now I thought you were just one of those mysterious cartographic gods

But I've only been around for a very short time, so what would I know?

Watching with great interest - and already admiring the beautiful details

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast