Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mouse's Experiments

Default Mouse's Experiments

This thread is for me to try out new things, and hopefully learn how to do things the right way

I'm starting with this first ever attempt at a hand drawn world map. The scale will be 'off' because my PC is no longer capable of opening anything much larger than about 6000 pi square in the only app I have that will allow me to use pen dynamics properly, so you'll have to forgive me for super massive mountains and forests of gigantic trees ...

This is an FT coastline in Mercator projection, squished down to isometric proportions.

(I can't upload the image, guys )

I've started with an impact crater the size of North America, but I'm not sure if this is the right way to draw such a thing if I'm trying to stay with doing this whole map in ISO perspective.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37 v2 extract.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	285.7 KB 
ID:	105867

EDIT: I've tried 4 times to upload the world map, but the server keeps timing me out. My BB is working at normal speed.
    Last edited by Mouse; 03-26-2018 at 10:29 PM.

what is the problem? bandwith on your end? or are you encountering a problem on our end [site side]?
    If it's our end, we can call out Robbie or Red to help.

Hi John

I think you asked that question before I updated my edit comment above.

The server keeps timing me out.

The file is 7.3 MB, and my BB is working normally.

I will halve the size of the world map and try again in a new comment in about 5 minutes...

Here is the world map

Name:	37 v2.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	105868

EDIT: I have no idea what caused the problem in the first comment, but I seem to be all right with smaller files This one is only 1.7 MB

This is going to be very cool.
    The crater looks great so far, albeit very large.
    Are you making this in the size format of an equirectangular map?
    Cus if you were then you could wrap it round a globe in g.projector!!!
    And that would probably look pretty cool.

Oh, and it's about time you had yourself an experiment thread, as you do that all the time as it is.

Edit - I did a test and it looks like it will work

Name:	Mouse map01.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	105869
    Last edited by J.Edward; 03-26-2018 at 10:45 PM.

Thanks John

Its a Mercator projection taken from FT3, and then crunched down for a true isometric view of the world. I did it that way so that I didn't have to draw tremendously stretched mountains towards the top and bottom of the map.

Unfortunately that means I probably won't be able to reverse engineer it, but I can do a spin sequence from the FT3 file in the morning... I mean, later this morning

I see everyone else is doing experimental threads, so I thought I'd join in the fun

Guild Expert

The super massive impact crater looks awesome Mouse! I wouldn't even worry about the scale, it doesn't even matter because it looks fabulous and it's art and it's fantasy and it's where you belong in my opinion....well, not in a crater, but you get my point. I have been waiting for you to do something like this and I'm excited for you. I can't wait to see what you do with the mountains.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Ottehcnor's Avatar

The crater looks really neat! I like the parchment-y style you're using, and looking at other stuff you've posted on here, I'm really looking forward to seeing where you might take this.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Edit - I did a test and it looks like it will work

Name:	Mouse map01.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	105869
    Aw thank you

And now I feel reeeeeealy BAD, since I chopped a couple of hundred miles of open water off the top and bottom of this world to make it small enough to work on in Krita! Very naughty of me, I know, but I wasn't thinking that some nice kind soul would do the reverse engineering for me, and it made the difference between being able to draw it, and not being able to draw it.

The things we do to cope with the mess all those Win 10 and processor security upgrades have done to us!

Here is the whole world again exported directly from FT3. I enlarged the middle section only to give myself as much space to draw things as I possibly could.

Name:	37 Mercator.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	4.53 MB 
ID:	105872

Sorry John!

[EDIT: I think the upload problem may have been due to some kind of handshake thing between Firefox working in Linux Mint with the Guild server. I haven't had any problems uploading today using MS Edge in Win 10.]

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    The super massive impact crater looks awesome Mouse! I wouldn't even worry about the scale, it doesn't even matter because it looks fabulous and it's art and it's fantasy and it's where you belong in my opinion....well, not in a crater, but you get my point. I have been waiting for you to do something like this and I'm excited for you. I can't wait to see what you do with the mountains.
    Thanks Kacey.... ummm... I think! *Mouse stands in the middle looking all around at the thousand mile high crater walls scratching head and wondering how she's going to get back home for dinner*

It's quite exciting to do something different each time

Quote Originally Posted by Ottehcnor View Post
    The crater looks really neat! I like the parchment-y style you're using, and looking at other stuff you've posted on here, I'm really looking forward to seeing where you might take this.
    Thank you very much Ottehcnor
    Last edited by Mouse; 03-27-2018 at 05:05 AM.

Here's a very tiny spin sequence of the original FT3 world.

Name:  37200.gif
Views: 879
Size:  4.13 MB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast