Thread: Manor house - Large Isometric Underground

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Eri's Avatar

Map Manor house - Large Isometric Underground

Commission piece I recently finished up which was a isometric underground dungeon below a large manor house. Various areas from sewer entrances, obelisks and portals, caverns and secret rooms.

It took a bit and I'm not exactly comfortable with this perspective style yet, and how to weave my usual colour style and process into it. It was very much a learning process which is of course good in its own way but I think I'll stay with 2d for a bit longer haha, maybe practicing a little in between. Now I think I could have detailed a little more and all that, get the colour depth a little stronger and more natural but had to rush a little

Any tips for the process you all use when doing 3d?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SMALL MANSION.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	106858

I have no knowledge about 3D, but this does look cool!

I think that's pretty nifty. It looks good.

I do think you could loose the grid over any area that isn't ungrided floor though (like I'd keep it on the cave floors, and even then I'd be tempted to erase the vertical lines). I'd say if you want more detail than start the drawing at a much larger size. Of course it also multiplies the time needed to finish though.

Yeah, I'd erase the grid where the negative space is, and also get rid of the vertical lines. As for general advice - I find sketching the whole thing out first is a big help. And start from the bottom and work up because the things at the bottom will generally always be in front. Also use a different line width for the outer lines of any given object. (I did have a link to a website and isometric drawing that gave good advice on line width but I can't find it right now)
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Eri's Avatar

Thanks for the tips.. I'll try removing unneeded guidelines from it, but yeh, thatll take a while haha.. Maybe I can just grab another line without vertical. I do like having vertical when sketching though but yeh, not needed in the finished product.

The actual size is a lot larger, I'll release it eventually one complete. It's just a big file for uploading and all that. I'll be spending more time on the next, but had to rush this one a little.

Thanks for the line idea larb, that would definitely make the sections pop a little more. Doing the line work on this makes me want to use gimp again lol. The line tool made it so easy, paths in photoshop annoy me. Not to mention next time I might actually use them instead of free handing lol

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Awesome! It really came together nicely. Nice work. (Congrats on the commission. )

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

This really looks good. I guess you got the perspective pretty well, especially for a hasty and untrained work. It's just the unpaved wayes and rooms that still look a little to "straight". Maybe a bit of ground structure with shading might help. For example when you're going down without stairs the slope could be presented by ground colour. Or a flat region usually is less illuminated by your "sun" than a region facing it. That was a little clumpsy but I hope you get hwat I mean.
    And by the way: what is that channel part on the left that seems to be not connected to anything?