Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New World (Help with Tectonics?)

Not sure about the colour of the arrows but the currents looks good.

Yes all these zones will shift.
    The reduction in tropical rainforest depend if the area still receive enough rain. Dry tropical forest might become more common Ex India, Thailand. If the difference in precipitation is severe enough to produce a dry season. Tropical places further from the equator have a more prononced dry season than their Earth counterpart.

Cool mediteranean climates would be Ds instead of Cs. They are common enough but mostly found on mountaneous areas like Turkey, Iran, Central Asia, and in the Cascadia region.
    Last edited by Azélor; 04-12-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Thanks Azelor.

With that in mind, do you think this wind/pressure map for January looks reasonable? (Please mostly ignore the mountain ranges for now, they are just to give me an idea.)

The ITCZ moves quite a lot south, almost to 30 degrees due to greater axial tilt. Northern hemisphere low pressure belt is dragged further south as well as oceanic high pressure. Perhaps the inland high pressure in northern winter would also extend further south?

Southern Hemisphere continent has a huge low pressure system (like Asia I suppose). I'm not sure what would happen below the mountains here, and also on the West coast. Either the high pressure winds blow parallel to it, or the low pressure bring winds onshore?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 00.09.15.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	106348

I decided to to do a quick draft of what the climates might look like in the NH (ignoring mountainous areas for now). I have included Jan & July ITCZ movement. Two main questions appeared to me:

1) I have some areas marked as winter dry - This is either because the winter westerlies can't reach these areas due to rain shadow, or, the winter high pressure system deflects the winds away from the interior. Does this seem reasonable?

2) The ITCZ reaches quite far, but I think there will be a minor rain shadow effect, and it is also biased to the east, so the interior is quite arid. Would there likely to be a desert here? Bearing in mind axial tilt is greater, and the world's average temperature is also a few degrees hotter.

Also, I have a large mediterranean climate area, which might look too big, but given the context, the westerlies blow over this region in winter bringing rain, whereas in summer this region is directly facing oceanic high pressure.

I am always puzzled about how to handle the 'top' of the Northern Hemisphere continent, as earth only has examples of 50 latitudes climates on coasts, not running horizontally like in my map. Would it just be a continuous band of Cfb basically?

Overall, it seems like there will be greater areas of summer/winter dry climates.

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 14.22.40.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	106358

The best is answer is : it is probably accurate but there is no way to be sure.

One thing to consider when mapping currents, either winds on oceanic is that, it can be useful to understand it as a surface not just a line. Well, air masses are actually in 3d but that adds another layer of complexity and frankly, makes the model even more complicated.
    So, back to your map: while the air around the high pressure zone follow the Coriolis force, they don't really form gyre around them. This is true especially for the northern continent.

The ITCZ can shift a lot more than that with the right conditions. But I guess it depends if your considering the core of the zone or the maximum extension. For example, most Earth maps have a large variation on where the northern ITCZ lies.
    Even Eastern Siberia and Mongolia are affected by the monsoon but it is much weaker than further south.,

Below the mountains, probably not.

To the last question: it would probably blow on the coast and the climate would be similar Equator, Colombia. The south would be really dry.
    moisture on the continent would come mostly from the North east and East/ South east.

I don't have anything useful to comment, I just wanted to say how impressed I am with all the work you are putting into this map! Every time I try to get the tectonics right for my world I end up completely confused, so you have my deepest respect!

1) I have some areas marked as winter dry - This is either because the winter westerlies can't reach these areas due to rain shadow, or, the winter high pressure system deflects the winds away from the interior. Does this seem reasonable?
    Probably, although at that latitude, considering the axial tilt, maybe D climates should be more common? Of course it depend on hotter the world is.
    Alone, the larger tilt mean colder winter, and C climates are less common since they require fairly mild winters (above freezing point).
    It could be really dry in winter if we consider Asia or Africa for reference. The f climate would stick to the coast but barely, it''s mostly the climate of the island that are further away from the continent. Having a dry winter is not so bad for the vegetation since dry summers actually have a bigger impact in comparison.

2) The ITCZ reaches quite far, but I think there will be a minor rain shadow effect, and it is also biased to the east, so the interior is quite arid. Would there likely to be a desert here? Bearing in mind axial tilt is greater, and the world's average temperature is also a few degrees hotter.
    I'm not sure because in summer at least, the moisture comes from the north and the south, so maybe not that dry.

Quote Originally Posted by davoush View Post
    Thanks Azelor.

With that in mind, do you think this wind/pressure map for January looks reasonable? (Please mostly ignore the mountain ranges for now, they are just to give me an idea.)

The ITCZ moves quite a lot south, almost to 30 degrees due to greater axial tilt. Northern hemisphere low pressure belt is dragged further south as well as oceanic high pressure. Perhaps the inland high pressure in northern winter would also extend further south?

Southern Hemisphere continent has a huge low pressure system (like Asia I suppose). I'm not sure what would happen below the mountains here, and also on the West coast. Either the high pressure winds blow parallel to it, or the low pressure bring winds onshore?

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 00.09.15.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	106348
    I'm a bit late to the party, but I'd like to comment that the trade winds are a bit off in this one. If the trades cross the equator, the direction of the coriolis force inverts, and the (originally easterly) trade winds become deflected into westerlies. See the Indian Monsoon, for example, though this happens in Africa too (this is why Somalia is in the rain shadow of the Ethiopian Plateau).

Edit:
    Here's another picture of the phenomenon:

Name:	14088718906_1892211082_z.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	106383
    Last edited by Charerg; 04-14-2018 at 06:34 AM.

Thanks both. @Charerg, that map is helpful. I updated the wind maps accordingly.

I've made a draft climate map but some things seem a bit odd at first.

First, the monsoon influence is very strong on both continents, as the ITCZ migrates away during the cold season making both continents have very dry winters. The northern continent gets more rain due to less rain shadow effects, but there is still a moderate desert. The interior of the southern continent is largely arid.

I also decided that anywhere above 40 latitude will probably have continental climates (i.e. big season variation), so fall into the D-climate types. There is an area of C in the northern continent which is moderated by mild currents. I have put all 70+ latitudes as tundra - I don't know how accurate this is.

I am not totally happy with the area labelled as 1). The transition from semi-arid steppe, to winter dry-hot summers, to winter dry continental seems strange. The two mountain ranges either side of this area block some of the winds.

The large southern continent is mostly dry as Azelor correctly guessed. I am unsure about tundra transitioning into continental-cool summers. Also the small continent next to it was quite problematic. The northern coast receives winds from the high pressure system above it, giving a kind of mediterranean northern coast (also warm current). The east coast receives cold current and so probably quite a bit colder. Most of the continent receives water from the north and south, but there is an area in the interior which is dry in winter. I had this transition as Dfc-Dwc-Dfb.

If anything else looks very wrong or questionable, please let me know. Thanks!

Name:	ClimatesRedo.png 
Views:	79 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	106484

Quick climate question:

I've recently been looking at Iran, and I've noticed it has wet-winters and dry summers. Given its position, I would have expected a more monsoonal type climate with wet summers, dry winters? Could anybody explain why it seems to have more of a mediterranean type climate (albeit more extreme)? It is situated basically in the July thermal low - I would have thought that would bring rain, and high pressure in winter makes it dry? Thanks!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast