Thread: New World (Help with Tectonics?)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New World (Help with Tectonics?)

Hello all,

I have decided that my previous WIP was an exercise in better understanding tectonics, climates, etc. (Thanks to Pixie, Azelor and all those who helped - your assistance was very much appreciated! ) In the end, I didn't like the configuration of landmasses (too similar to earth), and also I was not getting enough of the desired climate zones (as this world is a setting for other things, I had particular goals in mind). With that said, I have decided to try another world, but this time bearing in mind my goals while still aiming for some realism/plausibility.

I have sketched a rough map of landmasses with tectonics plates. I realise this is a very very messy sketch, but I would be very grateful if anybody could tell me whether there are any big mistakes I'm missing as I don't want to start drawing in more detail only to find I have to revise large portions of land? These are only the large main plates, I think adding in minor plates is less of an issue if the main plates are moving in the right directions.

Also, I originally drew a landmass on the large oceanic plate, but I was wondering if this is realistic? I wanted it to be an Australia type, old, flat continent, but that would be the equivalent of having it on the Pacific Plate? Would it more likely be on its own plate?

Many thanks!

(Edit: See latest post for map)
    Last edited by davoush; 04-03-2018 at 11:53 AM.