Thread: [m]April: my map-a-day challenge

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Do I use the same brushes each time?

Yes I do. It pays to find and tune a handful of good brushes - a pen, a pencil, a watercolour brush, a felt tip, and so on. I put them in my favourites and only go back to the main assortment if I need something a bit special for something different. I think it helps to be familiar with the drawing tools. This could just be my preference, though. I was once a reasonably prolific landscape painter, and kept a carefully maintained set of no more than 9 brushes in a jar, along with 3 carefully broken in palette knives. when you know a tool well enough to think of it as an extension of the arm and hand you can concentrate more easily on the line you are trying to draw.

Maybe you just don't feel comfortable with the particular stylus you are using?

EDIT: and I forgot to say, those are some lovely mountains in your last piece. I'm very impressed. I do get the strange optical illusion that the land is twisting off the globe closer to the front. Maybe the curved horizon could be moved so that the apex is directly above the line of the peninsula? Or maybe its just me?
    Last edited by Mouse; 04-14-2018 at 10:21 PM.