Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [m]April: my map-a-day challenge

Do I use the same brushes each time?

Yes I do. It pays to find and tune a handful of good brushes - a pen, a pencil, a watercolour brush, a felt tip, and so on. I put them in my favourites and only go back to the main assortment if I need something a bit special for something different. I think it helps to be familiar with the drawing tools. This could just be my preference, though. I was once a reasonably prolific landscape painter, and kept a carefully maintained set of no more than 9 brushes in a jar, along with 3 carefully broken in palette knives. when you know a tool well enough to think of it as an extension of the arm and hand you can concentrate more easily on the line you are trying to draw.

Maybe you just don't feel comfortable with the particular stylus you are using?

EDIT: and I forgot to say, those are some lovely mountains in your last piece. I'm very impressed. I do get the strange optical illusion that the land is twisting off the globe closer to the front. Maybe the curved horizon could be moved so that the apex is directly above the line of the peninsula? Or maybe its just me?
    Last edited by Mouse; 04-14-2018 at 10:21 PM.

Default Day 14

Mouse: I think it's something to do with drawing on a screen altogether. I've always drawn by hand on paper in the past, and there's definitely a different feeling to digital drawing: the texture of glass compared to paper, for example. Also, when I draw digitally I don't rest my hand on the glass but hover it above, which gives me less control I don't know if that's just me or something that many people do

With the day 13 drawing, the curvature of the horizon is perhaps a bit too round, but it's too late to change it now. Once it's down in ink it's impossible to change. I'd be interested to know if other people also think the land is twisting off towards the front?
    ----------------
    Day 14
    Medium: traditional (Copic Multiliner 2.0 and 1.0 and A4 paper)
    Type: regional map
    Time taken: 2:00

Here is day 14, a continuation of my previous drawing (since I can't draw digitally at the moment, I may as well spend the two days of regional/isometric/dungeon etc on the same drawing, eh?). I've expanded the mountains in the eastern landmass, and have begun pencilling in some extra islands and swamps for the rest of the picture.

Wingshaw
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Day 14 (2018-04-14).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	106406  

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Holy frak ! That's amazing ! Glad to see more globes like this

The twisted feeling I had from the earlier version has been somewhat remedied by the new details, and also by seeing that the curve itself is too tight - as you suggested.

The drawing itself is, as Thomas put it so well, simply amazing

Default Day 15

Thanks Thom and Mouse. I appreciate the feedback
    ----------------
    Day 15
    Type: dungeon/building map
    Time taken: 1:58

And now it's time for day 15. The topic for this day was dungeon/building mapping, and I thought I'd use it as a chance to practice something other than medieval fantasy; specifically, this is meant to be dieselpunk or sci-fi. I don't think I'm a natural at this setting - this picture is really just a bunch of rooms with some machinery-looking stuff in them, but I might try to drag something out of it...I'm thinking the power generator of some large hydro-electric dam.

What do y'all think? Anyone got some tips on getting that modern technology feel to a hand-drawn map?

NOTE: still haven't fixed Photoshop on my computer, so day 16 will be a continuation of this picture

Wingshaw

Name:	Day 15 (2018-04-15).jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	979.5 KB 
ID:	106431  

Default Day 16

Day 16
    Type: dungeon/building map
    Time taken: 2:00

Well, after all, I decided to start a new map rather than continue with yesterday's. I'm very pleased with the progress on this one, although there are lots more details I'd like to add to it. I've also come up with a bit of a story for this map:

This is the hideout of Hayato Masatada, a renegade samurai fighting a one-man war against a tyrannical daimyo. Lord Noboru has begun a campaign to expand his domain across the land, and has unveiled a new weapon that exceeds all others: rifles. After a bloody battle, Hayato Masatada was left as the only warrior to escape death or capture. With his pet snow leopard, Kamiya, he wages a guerilla war against Lord Noboru from this hideout, which is partly carved into the mountain and partly extends beyond the cliff and over the valley below.

I'd like to keep working on this map, but not until after [m]April is finished. I want to add more details to the floorplan (wooden planks, furniture, storage containers etc), draw the level below (which has his personal dungeon, storerooms, water source, escape route, and Kamiya's enclosure), and digitally add colour and shading. Also, it isn't necessarily very clear in the picture right now, but the passage between the rocks is actually a cave, not a gap between two cliffs - I'd like to make that more obvious, too...

What do you all think of it? Any suggestions?

Sidenote: according to behindthename.com, Haya-to means "falcon"-"person" and Noboru means "rise, ascend". Kamiya and Masatada don't mean anything (to my knowledge) and come from fantasynamegenerators.com

Wingshaw

Name:	Day 16 (2018-04-16).jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	106455  
    Last edited by Wingshaw; 04-16-2018 at 09:47 PM.

As the others, I love that day 14 map! Impressive, Wingshaw.
    This last one is interesting too, I like how you did the rocky part.

Day 14 and 16 have my vote too ! Definitely inspiring and I hope to see them pushed further

Default Day 17

Thanks Ilanthar and MistyBeee; it means a lot to hear such positive feedback
    ----------------
    Day 17
    Type: isometric city map
    Time taken: 2:02

This is the city of Runiste. Today, Runiste is a town know for the quality of the cider brewed there, with plentiful apple orchards located in the vicinity, and many well-known brewing families located there. A less well-known part of the city's history, however, concerns the lich Mikogu, whose burial mound is located under the central plaza of the city. Unfortunately for the citizens of Runiste, Mikogu's rest has been broken and now she's waking up...

This was meant to be posted yesterday, I'm not quite sure why it didn't work...

Wingshaw

Name:	Day 17 (2018-04-17).jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	106490  
    Last edited by Wingshaw; 04-21-2018 at 02:56 AM.

Well done, Wingshaw! It's great to see you're keeping up, and I love the recent traditional maps (14 and 16 in particular). Great job!
    — Don't compare your beginning with someone else's middle —

My Instagram: Mr.Nopkin ॥ Mostly maps and calligraphy

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast