Thread: Making a world Map... input would be appreciated

Guild Apprentice

Map Making a world Map... input would be appreciated

I have been working on a world map for quite some time for a DnD game that I am a part of, the game takes place on a hostile alien planet... This is the world we originally came from, our DM gave us all the opportunity to basically homebrew our homeworld since it would never be able to be played in any sense... on account of having exploded. I took the oppourtunity to exercize my writing skill and to really get into writing about it, the other players didnt care nearly as much as I did...

I made the continents... I outlined it all, I dont know how to make rivers, or mountains, or imply terrains and environments, or anything like that. There is nothing outside of this hemisphere aside from small islands... so I didnt bother mapping the other half of the world.

I am lost.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amvaril.png 
Views:	52 
Size:	424.5 KB 
ID:	106114

Guild Member Facebook Connected Ottehcnor's Avatar

This looks like a pretty good start. My only thought is that this world with so little land is going to have a very wet climate. If you're ok with that, great, but if you wanted more earth like conditions you may need more land masses.

If you want to fill out your map a bit more, I'd recommend picking a tutorial and going with it, eventually, you'll start to pick out elements you like and developing your own style. The quickstart guide has links to several tutorials, and you can choose the one that looks closest to how you want your map to look. Keep working with it and tweaking it until you have it how you want it, the best way to learn is by doing.

Guild Expert

The land masses look great, I really like the shapes and I’m excited to see this develop.

What type of style are you interested in doing for the other features? Hand drawn? Atlas style? Seems like you’re next step is figuring out where the mountains need to go, you can’t figure out rivers without knowing the elevation.

Can’t wait to see where it goes from here, keep it up.

Guild Apprentice

I have a rough idea where I want all the major mountain ranges.... and I want to go for a more hand-drawn style.

And its definitly wetter than earth in a lot of places, with swamps, rainforests, and such... but the oceans also largely lack the extreme depths of the earthly oceans.

And while I havent put the ice caps in yet, they are going to be... pretty substantial.

could one of you guys, maybe help me find a good brush pack I cant seem to find one and its stressing me out : <
    Last edited by Ralok; 04-04-2018 at 01:12 AM.

Guild Expert

Have you tried searching through the mapping elements section right here on the forum? https://www.cartographersguild.com/f...splay.php?f=49

And there's some on Deviant Art as well. https://www.deviantart.com/?section=...graphy+brushes

You've done a nice job on you're coast though, have you thought about learning to draw the other elements yourself?

Guild Member Facebook Connected Ottehcnor's Avatar

Another option would be to draw the brushes yourself, if you make it a randomized animated brush you can get a good hand drawn feel that is still unique to you, without nearly the same amount of work needed to draw everything by hand. I think this is a fairly good tutorial including making animated brushes, which you can play around with as much as you want.