Thread: Possible new technique - 3d Models

Default Possible new technique - 3d Models

Hey folks,

Been a while, no? I've decided to come back around to fantasy cartography as a hobby to pick up again.

Unfortunately, I'm not that great a physical-medium artist, so I started to think about how to tackle the question of making assets for my own map projects. and I think I've come up with a technique: using cel-shaded 3d Models.

Here's a test mountain using this technique.

I figure that mountains, buildings, and deciduous trees will be easy. Conifers might be a touch harder (though maybe not depending on how I style them). I think the hardest element for this technique will actually be canyons. If anyone has any suggestions of hard elements to tackle, I'd love the challenge to see if this technique can stand up to the challenge.

The canyon/crevice is still giving me issues, but I've figured out how to do trees of various sorts.

Here are my plans for a pack
    Mountains:
    - Rolling mountains (small, medium, large)
    - Peaked mountains (small, medium, large)
    - Hills (small, medium)
    - Butte/mesas (small, medium, large)
    - Volcanos
    - Canyons/Crevices (if I can ever get it working)

Trees
    - Oak/Maple
    - Pine
    - Acacia
    - Baobob
    - Willow
    - Dead

Buildings / Villages
    - Tudor
    - Nordic
    - Far Eastern
    - Middle Eastern
    - High Elven
    - Dwarven
    - Orcish
    - Wood Elven

If anyone else has any particular ideas on what else would fit into an exhaustive fantasy isometric pack, let me know.

I have seen quite a big demand for isometric cliffs (simialar to Inkarnate's style). Maybe those?

Why has no one commented on this? This is an I teresting idea, and I'd love to see what you come/came up with!