Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: April 2018 Challenge: The Theocracy of Donargothr

Now live on Flinders Island in the Bass Strait between mainland Australia and Tasmania (40deg lat)
    Blog Entries

The latest Wip. Next, Map text, redesign of 'civilized' areas, and titles for each picture with location on map using numbers.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Myirandios Challenge 2018.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	5.70 MB 
ID:	106357
    "To imagine is to be human; to be human is to imagine. We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams."

Now live on Flinders Island in the Bass Strait between mainland Australia and Tasmania (40deg lat)
    Blog Entries

I have repositioned the map so the country is more centred,finished the roads, started on the map key, and corrected the civilized area so it is now 23,000 sq miles (or very close to it, just over 22,300).
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	49 
Size:	5.83 MB 
ID:	106382
    "To imagine is to be human; to be human is to imagine. We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams."

"Her Holinss" in the second paragraph should probably be "Her Holiness".

Blog Entries

Thanks - fixed

Blog Entries

My virtually final version of Donagothr. Please let me know how you think I can improve it. Does it need more than the simple frame it has?
    ### Latest WIP ###

Views:	65 
Size:	9.36 MB 
ID:	106497
    Last edited by Quenten; 04-19-2018 at 08:24 AM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That looks fantastic! Really love the almost canvas look of the map, and the travelogue layout. Nice job.

"Holy Congegation of Alien Control"? "Congregation" maybe?

Pros: I like the way you've done your points of interest, even if it is obviously filtered photographic images as the location images. The layout of the land is interesting and effectively hints at perils and interesting areas. The "goddess" image helps sell the theocracy theme effectively. The names and borders are good.

Cons: The numbering scheme of the features appears random. This isn't an issue if I'm looking at the map and want to know what feature is, say, number 11, but if I'm trying to locate the Ruined Shrine to Dasilena, it helps if there is some order to how things are numbered. Personally, I'm disliking the main font, with its overdone sloppiness to appear "handwritten" and its large lowercase "i" instead of a proper capital "I", but that's just my tastes; the numbering thing is objectively a problem.

Blog Entries

Spelling corrected - thanks for that. We will have to disagree about the font - fonts like this often used in touristy maps that I have collected over my travels, so I guess that's why I used it.
    I can see the point about the numbering system, but I am afraid it will be just too much work to reorder it. Damnation and black curses.

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Cons: The numbering scheme of the features appears random. This isn't an issue if I'm looking at the map and want to know what feature is, say, number 11, but if I'm trying to locate the Ruined Shrine to Dasilena, it helps if there is some order to how things are numbered.
    Overall, I really like this but I have to agree with the above. To me, numbering systems should have some discernible pattern. For a map like this, I would've numbered Instow, 1 as it's the capital and presumably first port of call for overseas visitors and continued in a clockwise (or anti-clockwise) direction from there. Something to consider for your next maps.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Blog Entries

I can see I will have to do the renumbering - maybe in a few days time. Thanks for this feedback.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast