Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: April 2018 Challenge: The Empire of Elelion

I haven't seen this type of map from you before Mouse - it's off to an interesting start! Eager to see some more, and congratulations on your first commission!

Thanks MMM

I haven't seen this kind of map from me before either, so this should be a fairly interesting show once I get started with all the usual beginner's mistakes

Got a question I've been casually mulling over for the last few days - how wide is a mountain at its base, on average - its radius or diameter? I've looked everywhere online, but found nothing to help. I'm trying to work out how many grid squares an average sized mountain would cover on my map as a sort of starting point. Each grid square is 10 x 10 miles, so I guess it wouldn't really be more than a single grid square for the biggest mountains, if I meant to stick to scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Thanks MMM
    Got a question I've been casually mulling over for the last few days - how wide is a mountain at its base, on average - its radius or diameter? I've looked everywhere online, but found nothing to help. I'm trying to work out how many grid squares an average sized mountain would cover on my map as a sort of starting point. Each grid square is 10 x 10 miles, so I guess it wouldn't really be more than a single grid square for the biggest mountains, if I meant to stick to scale.
    I was wondering the same thing when I kept reloading the page, trying to decide on what would be a decent area for my map. What I ended up doing was to look up a physical map of Switzerland (because it's roughly the same size as the region I wanted to map and it has pretty high mountains - 4500m) and figured out that a single "piece" of mountain can be as small as 5 miles in diameter, but the width of the entire range is somewhere around 30-35 miles.
    Last edited by nopkin; 04-14-2018 at 12:24 PM.
    — Don't compare your beginning with someone else's middle —

My Instagram: Mr.Nopkin ॥ Mostly maps and calligraphy

That's a really good plan, Nopkin, and thanks for the basic information. I didn't think of that because Poland (roughly the same area as my map) doesn't seem to have any really big mountains in it compared to all the neighbouring countries. I guess I should have looked just over the border...

I will have a play with the mountains just as soon as I can

I am really sorry to anyone following this thread, but I have had to pull out of this Challenge due to technical problems with my PC.

Following the latest Win 10 update there is now insufficient memory for me to open this file.
    Last edited by Mouse; 04-20-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Too bad, it was such a good start...

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Awww Mousie, not good.

May the Map Gods grant you unlimited memory!

Thank you, Jo and D

I am quite happy to sit and watch the rest of the entrants battle it out this time around

Good luck to all!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12