Thread: April 2018 Challenge: The Republic of Nionegrien

Default April 2018 Challenge: The Republic of Nionegrien

Output, with the area reduced to 8250 sq mi:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nionegrien.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	106169

That's a HUGE population density. This place is going to be wall to wall city, but on the other hand you were enviably lucky there with the castles

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    That's a HUGE population density. This place is going to be wall to wall city, but on the other hand you were enviably lucky there with the castles
    Heh - 120/sq mi isn't terribly dense. Wall to wall people is closer to 50,000/sq mi (Macao), 20,000/sq mi (Singapore), or 17,000/sq mi (Hong Kong).

120/sq mi is roughly the same as modern South Africa or Afghanistan.

As for the castles, that's primarily why I dropped the area.

The population in people per sq mi is interesting, but remember that most of the population is concentrated in small areas with large empty areas for cropland, forest, grazing, and "other" uses like desert. The traditional estimate of an acre to feed a person doesn't mean that there's one guy standing in each acre. It generally means that there are multiple acres with a village in the middle.

An image search in your favorite engine for "3D population density map" shows some appalling examples of the great hives of humanity and the flat spots in between that feed them.

You're quite right, Diastallia. I flipped out there and was thinking in population densities per hectare, which is the way they are represented sometimes in UK census stats. Really don't know why that happened, since I haven't had anything to do with census stats for at least 6 years now

You're quite right, Diastallia. I flipped out there and was thinking in population densities per hectare, which is the way they are represented sometimes in UK census stats. Really don't know why that happened, since I haven't had anything to do with census stats for at least 6 years now
    No worries.

BTW, "ai", not "ia".

Dyslexia

I even have trouble spelling that sometimes! Depends how tired I am.

Dyslexia

I even have trouble spelling that sometimes! Depends how tired I am.
    No worries!

I've added you to my dictionary now, so we should be ok from here

Looking forward to this new realm of yours

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prelim map 2 post.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	106225

Well, there's a preliminary map. The working map is scaled at 900 px/sq mi,and the land mass is *exactly* 7,425,000 pixels. Scaled down to 100px/sq mi, it loses a few pixels - 822,243, rather than exactly 825,000 - giving a land mass of 8222.43 sq mi rather than exactly 8250. I suspect/hope nobody will be terribly upset by it not being *exactly* perfectly 8250 sq mi... OTOH, may just mess about with it to get exactly 825,000 pixels...

I've got a touristy brochure or guide book map in mind, at least at the moment. Something along these lines:
    http://www.vidiani.com/maps/maps_of_...slands_map.jpg
    https://ambergriscaye.com/pages/town/map2.html
    https://caribbeantrading.com/wp-cont...fographic1.png

And note Belize and Fiji are in the same size range. Puerto Rico is much smaller, but I have an affinity for that style.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast