Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: April 2018 Challenge: The Iron Dominion of Kharbizar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Thanks, Straf! Yeah, I hate moving. But... $200 cheaper rent, 45 minutes closer to work, washer & dryer in the apartment so no more laundromat... I couldn't exactly say no to that, even if it's a couple hundred square feet smaller.

Plus, it gave me an excuse to downsize my book collection, which has metastasized beyond control. Over the last week, I've taken 35 grocery bags full of books into the used bookstore, and the poor movers will STILL have to move close to 40 boxes of them. It's a sickness.
    45 minutes reduction in commute? Goodness me, how long does it take you at the moment? $200 is a massive saving too, plus the commute will be cheaper and there'll be no need to ask for coins in your change for the launderette

I, too, don't like to part with books although I have had to on occasion, usually when moving. I don't have anywhere near 40 boxes though.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Crane View Post
    45 minutes? That is huge! Especially in the Bay Area if that gets you on a better BART route.
    Same BART route (Pittsburg/Bay Point to SF), BUT I don't have to drive 45 minutes just to get to the train station now. More like 5. I park at the North Concord station because it's the only one that doesn't fill up by 6AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Moving, blech. Although it does sound like a much better location even if isn't as big. Commutes are just about as bad as moving only unlike moving you do it like 10 times a week.
    Hope you like the new place.
    Thank you! Yep, I think it'll be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    Oh, that's definitely an improvement. Congratulations.

Which bookstore would that be and how would you rate it? I don't get over to the bay area much, but I'm always ready to pop into a good bookstore given the chance. Not that I should be buying any books for a few decades until I get through my backlog, but as you say, it's a sickness.
    Half Price Books in Concord. My new place is literally a five minute walk away from it, so I was joking with the girl at the store that I'd probably just come in and buy them all back...
    Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    45 minutes reduction in commute? Goodness me, how long does it take you at the moment? $200 is a massive saving too, plus the commute will be cheaper and there'll be no need to ask for coins in your change for the launderette

I, too, don't like to part with books although I have had to on occasion, usually when moving. I don't have anywhere near 40 boxes though.
    My commute can be about 2 hours each way if traffic is bad... which it usually is. Average of 45 minutes drive just to get to the train station, 10 minute walk from car to train (yep, big parking lot), then an hour on the train. More (sometimes much more) if there's debris on the track, psychos on the train/at one of the stations, someone fainting, police having to drag a bum off who's just crapped in a seat, etc etc etc. It's a joyous way to start your day!
    Last edited by Diamond; 04-13-2018 at 12:44 AM.

Wow... I just don't know how you bear with 2 hours distance to work...
    50 minutes was my maximum, and it was already far too much for me !

Hey, hehe, using my new homeland eh? I don't envy you the move but it does sound like a better deal.

I am seriously thinking about trying to get in on this myself but I'm going to have to wait until I see how next week pans out.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

@Jax: I hope you enter; it's been a long long time since I've seen anything mappy from you!

Well, I decided to go full-on Ascension swiss atlas style for this one, with contour lines and everything. Had a chunk of free time today in between trips dumping/moving stuff, so this is what I got done. The outer border is just a placeholder that I made, but I kind of like it.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IronDominion3.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	106416  

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Did I heard « Swiss » ?
    Fantastic work, Diamond ! How did you do all of these contour lines ? The effect is breathtaking ! I can’t believe you draw all of it by hand (and moved at the same time...) Is there a software or an effect to obtain such a nice result ?

If I understood well, you first obtained the contour lines and then made the altitude effect with the shadows ? Is that right ? Anyway, the map looks really fine (and Swiss... ! )

All credit goes to Ascension: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=10192

I'm only following along, and not very well in places. But thanks for the compliment!

*Mouse just happens to be trotting past... stops and stares... picks jaw up off ground*

Damn it, D! Don't you ever stop creating masterpieces?

I'll be watching this with interest. I looked at the Ascension tutorial a while back but it's for PS and not GIMP and uses some features that GIMP doesn't have. I tried to experiment about a bit but reached a point where I couldn't go any further.

JO I have been working on a method that uses contours to produce height maps but it requires drawing them by hand, and then grading the different levels using greys but you have to be meticulous because you have to keep switching between layers to select and then fill.

Diamond you have been one of my major inspirations lately because it's not just the method but the colour palettes you choose.

Anyway I'm liking this right now.
    I started a DeviantArt page
    https://strafwibble.deviantart.com/

Okay, this will likely be all I have a chance to work on this until the very end of the month, so thankfully I got the bulk of it done today.

All cities, towns, and castles placed. I added a few more castles too, because I'm sick like that. I put a bit of texture over the whole thing to age it a bit, and did some experimenting with the title box and sidebar.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IronDominion4.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	106427  
    Last edited by Diamond; 04-16-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast