Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: April 2018 Challenge: The Iron Dominion of Kharbizar

it's really a super fine job !
    -- Maps and Watercolor --

In french :
    Mon tipeee : come and support my work
    https://mondelys.wordpress.com/ : Here I write and I draw the Encyclopedia of Lys
    https://manaearth.wordpress.com/ : Discover the table rpg Mana Earth

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I’m looking forward to read about your Dominion’s history !

Labels always add a lot on a map and I love the look of them on this background. 'Was a good choice to make them simple : the hierarchy is perfect
    I wonder how the boundary would look like with the same dark red you used for the icons ?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
    it's really a super fine job !
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    I’m looking forward to read about your Dominion’s history !
    Yeah, I should probably get started on that, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Labels always add a lot on a map and I love the look of them on this background. 'Was a good choice to make them simple : the hierarchy is perfect
    I wonder how the boundary would look like with the same dark red you used for the icons ?
    Thank you - I had the same thought. I'll try it out tonight. I also don't like the compass at all on second viewing; it doesn't go with the crispness of the landforms. So that's out too.

Whew. All done. I decided to keep the flowery outer border cause, well, I like it.

Some lore:

Kharbizar is a nation of exiles - both literally and geographically. Located on the far eastern shores of the continent of Estalen, the realm is a secluded place, bracketed east and west by imposing mountain ranges, in the south by the sea, and in the north by the vast wilderness of the Feywild. Founded nearly 1500 years ago by the immortal archmage Vurlus Khar, his small tower on the shores of Lake Tzal attracted scores of the native tribesmen, the Bizari, almost from the beginning. Seeking protection from the ravages of the wild Fey who haunted the northern and western forests, the tribesmen entered into a pact with Khar which has lasted a millennia and a half. In exchange for Khar's protection against the Fey, the Bizari donated a few of their strongest young men and women every decade or so. A small price to pay, really, and who cares if the Sovereign only comes out at night?

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IronDominion6.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	3.09 MB 
ID:	106668  

Looks good, Diamond. It may be too late to make changes (then again, you are running the voting...) but the one thing I'd suggest is making the lights/shadows on the shield a bit less strong and a bit less digital looking. Apart from that, this is looking great. I really like the border on this one, and the colour scheme, as always, is nice and subtle.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Superbly 'Diamond'

Always fresh and crisp - just like a map really aught to be.

I wasn't really keen on the green to start with, but its definitely grown on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    Looks good, Diamond. It may be too late to make changes (then again, you are running the voting...) but the one thing I'd suggest is making the lights/shadows on the shield a bit less strong and a bit less digital looking. Apart from that, this is looking great. I really like the border on this one, and the colour scheme, as always, is nice and subtle.

Wingshaw
    Good point. I'm going to change the symbol a bit anyway, so I'll tone the beveling down on it too. As far as voting, I don't give myself any more or less time than the rest of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Superbly 'Diamond'

Always fresh and crisp - just like a map really aught to be.

I wasn't really keen on the green to start with, but its definitely grown on me.
    Thanks lady!

LOL!

Oops! typo in my comment there. 'aught' should be 'ought'. One letter wrong and a completely different meaning!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    LOL!

Oops! typo in my comment there. 'aught' should be 'ought'. One letter wrong and a completely different meaning!
    Consider yourself grammatically reprimanded.

I changed out the coat of arms, but kept a lot of the bevel. Just didn't care for the way it looked without it. YMMV. I fixed the sidebar and title boxes too; put some texture over the key, etc.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IronDominion7.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	106727  
    Last edited by Diamond; 05-01-2018 at 12:16 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast