Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Imperial War Harbor - The City of Khar`Desh

Wip The Imperial War Harbor - The City of Khar`Desh

Dear guild members, after some weeks of abstinence, I´m back.

Let me introduce my new project, a city map of Khar`Desh. Kahr`Desh is the second biggest imperial war harbor of the Empire of Nipheria, which is ruled by god-emperor Khil`Udus. Located not far away from the sea at the mouths of the River Krak in the Krak River delta, this city was founded some thirty years ago in order to host one of the three big imperial brisks with a capacity of harboring temporary up to 250 big vessels in order to start big assignments and attacks. Of course the city is also capable of protecting the Empire against foreign attacks by ships using the River Krak move towards the north, the hearth of Nipheria.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Khar`Desh.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	105758  
    Last edited by randigpanzrall; 03-23-2018 at 01:43 PM.

Hallo und willkommen zurück randigpanzrall! I really like the layout of the city, it looks very convincing to me. The only nitpick would be about the mentioned age of the city. You wrote it's only about thirty years old, but with its rather huge size it looks like it is grown over a longer period of time. Also the "Oldtown" seems a little strange in that context. Besides that it's a very fine piece already. Keep up the great work, i'm looking forward to see it coming together!
    Cheers,
    Martin
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Thanks Abu Lafia, in fact there has been a small town before but then the former god emperor has chosen this place for a war harbor because the Empire found back to old strength an aggresivity after a lost war and a struggeling period. So the emperor stamped this port city off the ground with hundreds of thousands of slaves. It is a city created on the drawing board and build with slave blood and it´s not a grown city but just a settlement for the military. I will try to work this out in the process

Ah ok, that makes a lot more sense then. The "Reißbrett" style streets, together with the channels and harbors remind me of the 17th century urban planning of Amsterdam.
    Oh btw., i think you mistranslated "Flotte(n)" into brisks in your initial post. Should be "fleets" instead i guess? Well, sorry, i'm really no Rechtschreib-Nazi, just had to look up brisk(s), because i've never seen the word before
    Map is not territory...

Hi Abu, you´re absolutely right,I looked up an alternative word for fleet and google offered "brisk" to me... In fact, this is the wrong translation for a fleet ...

no worries. Any updates on the map yet? Really curious to see it unfold! Btw. i just had Amsterdam in mind then, but on a second thought it seems to be more of an antique port city like Cartaghe (i know these cool round shiphouses only from models or illustrations of antique ports). What cultural/technological background do you have in mind for the Empire of Nipheria?
    Map is not territory...

So adding some more background on Khar`Desh:

It´s located approximately 20 degrees west, 29 degrees north, in the south of the Empire of Nipheria. Nipheria has been rebuild end regained old strenght after having lost almost 80% of its territory in the 200 years before to the expanding Empire of Wallungia.

Looking at the climate: The Empire is located in a subtropic and arid region whith maritime influeneces in its southern quarter, the natural vergetation is dominated by steppe, shrub and bush formation. This system is interrupted by the great Rivers of Nipheria, that flow through the empire from north to south and split it in half.Above all it´s the River Iidris, which is fed by the heavy rainfalls in the more than 1000 miles distant continental mountains, especially in the summer months. The great and large rivers transform the steppe there into fertile and nutrient-rich oases all over the year, which extends up to 20 kilometers into the country and which flows into a huge fertile coastal country in the big river deltas. The relatively cold currents in the Sea of Iidris are additionally favoring the land use in this area. Khar`Desh is located in this area and so we have a prosperous flora and fauna around the city, a strong agriculture and an intensive fishing.

Khar´Desh has a rainfall of maximum three to four days in the winter months and a minimum of 0 to one in summer months. Average temperature is from min 23 degrees Celsius in january to max 31 degrees in june.

If you look at this map: https://www.cartographersguild.com/a...7&d=1459462058 , you find the city under the different name of Vald´rar, how it´s called by Wallungians.

As I said before, Khar`Desh is the second largest war harbor besides Khar`Demelia (also called Ssanarid) and the Empire´s fleet has the undisputed sovereignty in the Sea of Iidris and in the ocean beyond up to the coasts of Cartaguillas in the north west.It is indeed to be assumed that, especially under the new authoritarian leadership of the god emperor dynasty, an armed conflict with the Wallungian Empire will only be a matter of time. Khar`Desh will play an important role as one of the mayor war harbors of course.

Please do not be angry with me for this statement, but I must also give the city a meaning and a history to design and develop it and bring it to life. The next steps will be more cartographic, I promise.

So, I startet to think about the urban graining in the residential area of the city, just to get a feeling, how streets and buildings are functioning in it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled_28032018_154502.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	105911

A few hours of digitalization later:

Name:	Khar`Desh 02.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	516.1 KB 
ID:	105923

So, digitalisation is almost done, took some hours but now I can start with photoshop work

Name:	Khar`Desh 03.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	411.8 KB 
ID:	106164

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast