Thread: WIP -- The World of Duskfell

Default WIP -- The World of Duskfell

I'm still fairly new to this site and the community but I wanted to share some of my world building you all. As it stands I have a good portion of the geography figured out and will shortly be working on a set of symbols for my numerous towns, cities, &c..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World_Map.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	106426

I decided right off the bat that I wanted my world to tell a narrative. This is to say that I want the viewer to look at it and start to ask questions and begin to engage with the storied past of my world in all but a glance. To this end I decided to carve out a circular region on west side of the continent. I deliberately wish to make it look as if some sort of destructive force ripped the world assunder, carving out a new sea, thrusting up new coastal mountain ranges, and creating islands in the oceanic folds of the blast. I have'nt completely narrated this part out yet, but it will be a major story element for the purpose of defining the history of my world, Duskfell.

I will be adding town, city, &c. markers soon, but I would to have your feedback. What do you think of this narrative/storried approach? Have you used it with success, and if so, what other ways are there for conveying cartographic visual narratives?

Thanks,
    -I-F-

Name:	Duskfell_01.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	3.57 MB 
ID:	106450

OK, been playing around and added a parchement background and placed a couple towns, cities, and major landmarks. I would greatly appreciate any feedback regarding the symbols I added. I have been trying to develope my own style and am liking the silhouette a bit.

Spent a little time with gimp and played around with adding names and a little pit of color. I must say, gimp doesn't handle text as well as I'd hoped.

Name:	Duskfell_Color_Names.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	106512

I love your style.
    It makes me want to walk there.
    -- Maps and Watercolor --

In french :
    Mon tipeee : come and support my work
    https://mondelys.wordpress.com/ : Here I write and I draw the Encyclopedia of Lys
    https://manaearth.wordpress.com/ : Discover the table rpg Mana Earth

Very nice work. One small critique -- aside from The Sea of Despoilment, all of your labels are the same size. I would vary it a bit to create some visual hierarchy, with larger labels on larger/more important features.

Quote Originally Posted by Mapsburgh View Post
    Very nice work. One small critique -- aside from The Sea of Despoilment, all of your labels are the same size. I would vary it a bit to create some visual hierarchy, with larger labels on larger/more important features.
    Thanks for suggestion. I will see what I can do in the near future. I will admit that I had a bit of a time working with text in Gimp--they really don't handle it very well, but it is free. Maybe Krita has the functionality to do the same thing...