Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuzla Map- Phisical map.

Map Tuzla Map- Phisical map.

Soo, guys, this is the second time I post here. I wanted to show you what I've been working on lately.

This is a regional map of the Tuzla region, a part of the full world map I posted the last time.
    I hope you guys can tell me how you see this phisical-elevation map, because it's the first one i've done, and I'm new to this sort of maps (I've always done political maps). Special thanks to Joaodafi, as I've taken his color palet as reference and inspired myself with the ones he has made (without telling you, sorry mate). As mistake i see, maybe the difference between levels is too big, because this map is suposed to a bit smaller to the USA, so I don't know if it should be smaller.
    One of the map is purely phisical, and the other is the same but with lines and regions

[ommit this if not interested in the story ]
    -----------
    As for the map in the story, it basically covers the whole mainland of the Tuzlian Empire, wich is the main country, agent or whatever in my story. Seen by some as the bringers of progress and rightness, and by others as a warmonger empire that only seeks total domination, depending on each person's perspective (allthough both are true in some sense). They posess a very strategic territory, full of ressources and relatively easy to defend, as it only has borders with two countries: Eandunn to the north, and the Kingdom of Brima the the east (this one being its main ally). To the west we fing the Hung Empire, which, even if in great rivalry with the Tuzlian Emmpire, it serves as a natural barrier to possible attackers from the west, as the island of Hung covers nearly the whole border of Tuzla, leaving the Sea of Lhira in the middle.
    Tuzla's capital is Antara, found in the very center of the map. It's the most populated city, and the one with the best geographical spot, as it is rich in rivers and is nearly completely surrounded by mountains.
    The next biggest city in Tuzla is Hiiuma (located on the east coast, north of Lake Phossa), followed by Debrezen (south of Antara) and Matrüh (north of Tuzla, south of the Grunn Mountain chain).
    --------------

So after this introduction to the map, tell me, what do you guys think about it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tuzla phisical-regions and lines.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	785.7 KB 
ID:	106419   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tuzla phisical no lines.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	475.6 KB 
ID:	106420  

Guild Expert

I wish I could make topographic maps like this so I give props to anyone who can pull it off, I really like this style it looks great.

Hey man, thanks for your message.
    Well, as I am pretty new at this I wouldn't be able to give good advice, the only thing I can say is that I thought the same way, they look really difficult to make. But actually it's just a matter of patience, it takes really long but once you make the two first levels you start to see the result, so I finally understood it hahah
    what I did was working in layers starting from level 0 up to the mountains, with a scheme of the rivers and mountains where I wanted them to be.

Just give it a try on a smaller map (I've seen you maps and maybe they're too big, they're very good by the way), I'm sure you'll pull it out.

Wow, i am impressed. This looks really good. I am not that big of a fan of height-map style mapping per se, but this looks good for that style. Depending on what kind of technology level your world has, this could be an inworld-map or not.
    If this is your classical fantasy setting, then i guess i'd like to see a more "appropriate" mapping style for the region on top of this one (something that'd make sense for the capabilities of the cultures in your world).

I hope that does not sound overly critical. I am just typing out what i'd like to see...you are totally in your right to ignore anything and everything in my post
    Last edited by Eilathen; 04-16-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Thanks for the feedback Eilathen! Really appreciate your comment, and don't worry, I am looking for honest opinions and critics.

This has actually been my first height map s i wasn't really sure of how it would turn out, but as you said, the region on top of this one (wich is called Eandunn by the way) will be more of a plain type of map, as if has less ressources, sort of like a tundra with nordic forests and what not.
    I don't know if you meant this by the way, so if not, tell me.

I will explain properly to your other post on the other map I posted, about the world I was trying to create, but here I can tell you that my main goal is to create a full timeline of the world, from the creation of the first races and empires to a more modern (or even futuristic) time, so the story would take place over a few thousand of years. This said, I have to add that it would of course be in various books, the first one being sort of a guide of the world over all these ages (wich would be the most extense one, because it would explain from geography, history and diplomacy to the cultures and phisics of the world), and the next books of the saga, if everything goes well, would be stories within the world, either advetures of people or full scale wars between countries, with their characters and protagonists of course.

I have to decide it yet, because I'm not sure about all this, as it would be a massive project haha that's why I was looking to make a little group of people who like fantasy books and map making to help me, colaborate and even write it with me, as I would like it to be a shared project between people, so tell me if you're interested

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected joaodafi's Avatar

the map looks nice to me, and the amount of detail is not just good, but necessary considering your plans.
    Sorry any grammatical error, I'm better with Portuguese than English.

thanks Joaodafi
    what do you mean by 'the amount of detail is not just good'? hehe didn't get it sorry man.

Also, considering that even if it's a regional map it's a very large land mass, do you think the distance between colors is good or should it be smaller?

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected joaodafi's Avatar

I just said that is a good amount of detail, and that you will need a very detailed map to create the scenarios that you want.

The distance between the colors seems good for me, but for me it is not a question of opinion, but rather what kind of relief is represented on the map
    Sorry any grammatical error, I'm better with Portuguese than English.

aaah okay I get it now, considering that this map is a little smaller than the USA i guess it should be very detailed as you said.

Well, for the relief of this map, as it is the main agent in the story, I want it be quite complete and to too monotonous, as a lot of battles, travels and story will happen here, so i wanted a map with a lot of mountain chains, but also with some plains and valleys (main river in the center) where agriculture and life goes on.

So, over several ages you say? Thousands of years...? Hmm...well i guess then i'd advise for different maps for the different ages.

As i said, i myself like it if the map also fits (at least a bit) into the age portrayed...so a kind of fantasy vibe for a fantasy world, a more realistic map if you want to show us the modern map etc . . But again, that might just be me.
    I just find it odd if i see a very photo-realistic/satellite-style map in a book with a fantasy story or a very old-ish looking map for a modern novel etc. .

Be that as it may, i will certainly keep my eyes on this thread. And depending where you go with this, i might even be tempted to collaborate.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast