Thread: First post, first map!! Map of Imasera

Default First post, first map!! Map of Imasera

Sorry for any errors in my English, Google helped me translate this text

I always liked maps and wordbuilding but never done anything, so as a personal challenge I decided to draw a map, I went through many sketches discarded (https://imgur.com/a/SwK4U) until I got to the current drawing, in lore there is nothing extraordinary in the world or original ideas, even because a lot of it I was creating as I drew it.

I used GIMP, a program I had never used before, and tried to use most of my original drawing features, creating my style for vegetation, rivers and everything else, but the hills I could not do something that pleased me so I used an ordinary brush (downloaded in devianart), and the region of Asan (Mesa Desert) traces I based on the map of Arden ( https://schwarzkreuz.deviantart.com/...2011-346268703 ).

The format similar to Europe was not purposeful, I believe my subconscious has accidentally drawn a familiar form.

The names, I confess they do not have much logic, I do not even like the distribution or some of them, but I lacked creativity in part of the process and started to use automatic generators (I often used the word form but changed some things)

http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/

As this generator has helped me a lot, there is a city named after the page, called City of Emily.

The cartographer's guild on the map refers to an 'inside' of this world, not the real world (this one)

Well! that's it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	datucvihu0n01.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	8.01 MB 
ID:	106410

Post Nice

Hey man, I'm also new to this forum

I like the map, its nice and comfy, but the only thing I would tell you is that the coastlines seem to straight, I always try to make them very pointy and changing through space a lot. In my opinion it gives a bigger sense of realism to the map, but its nice anyway man.
    I tried CC3 but i had some problems with it so I went with GIMP, really happy with it, though CC3 seemed quite nice looking.

For the coasts, I always remember a guy who told me that coasts are like fractals, like they're always irregular, and the more you zoom in, the more irregular they are haha

Cheers mate.

Guild Expert

Looks good so far, I like the general layout of the land and the coast so I have to disagree with MorelTuzi on making the coast more pointy I think it's fine just how it is. The mountain line work is outstanding and has so much character, but they are just screaming to be finished...Are you planning to add some shading to them?

Overall great first map!

Hey

Considering the scale of the map I believe the lines are distorted enough. But I'm not from the drawing area, so this map for me was already a great achievement. (my old ones by Imgur there you will see that they were almost round)

Look, I'd rather draw on GIMP because I think the map is 'more mine', these pre-ready programs like CC3 and Inkarnate see them as too generic. I do not know, just opinion.

Let's be welcome then, good luck on your maps.

Quote Originally Posted by MorelTuzl View Post
    Hey man, I'm also new to this forum

I like the map, its nice and comfy, but the only thing I would tell you is that the coastlines seem to straight, I always try to make them very pointy and changing through space a lot. In my opinion it gives a bigger sense of realism to the map, but its nice anyway man.
    I tried CC3 but i had some problems with it so I went with GIMP, really happy with it, though CC3 seemed quite nice looking.

For the coasts, I always remember a guy who told me that coasts are like fractals, like they're always irregular, and the more you zoom in, the more irregular they are haha

Cheers mate.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    The mountain line work is outstanding and has so much character
    Overall great first map!

Thanks Bro.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    but they are just screaming to be finished...Are you planning to add some shading to them?
    Overall great first map!
    I tried, but I realized that I'm not very good at painting, the results were very bad and ended up ruining the drawing.