Thread: April 2018 Challenge : The Dominion of Ithin

Wip April 2018 Challenge : The Dominion of Ithin

The Sorcerous Dominion of Ithin

I was on my phone when I generated this so the text is a little strange. I rolled it, liked the general feel of the name so I kept it and started gathering ideas.
    It is a country were magic is really important and I will try to convey that on the map.
    I'm going for an idea I've had for quite a while: a nighttime map. So there will be a lot of lightning effect.

Now the description of the country:

Physical area: 9700 square miles. Or 25 122 km, about the size of the Republic of Macedonia
    Of this, 73% is arable land, and 26% is wilderness.
    Wilderness is likely defined as land that is not cultivated (for whatever reason) and/or not suitable for agriculture
    Population: 1.1 million people. I changed the parameter for population density by pushing it to the maximum.
    The population density is 43,78 person per km2 for the country as a whole. That is a high density for a temperate climate but not impossible with that much arable land.
    I think the arable lands in France is around 30 or 35%, and is considered a fertile country. We have twice than amount.
    Settlements: The largest city has a population of 16 or 33 thousand people (one place said 16, the other 33, maybe the pop fluctuate with the seasons?)
    the second largest 6473.
    There are no other cities of note in the kingdom,
    and 20 towns.
    The remaining population lives in numerous smallvillages, isolated dwellings, etc
    Castles: 23 active castles and 3 ruined.
    20 castles and 3 ruined are in civilized lands,
    3 castles and 0 ruined are in the wilderness.
    Capital and largest city: Mithlone
    The city covers an area of approximately 552 acres, with a total population of 33 thousand people, or 16 thousand depending on the counting method used.
    That's 2,23 sq km
    Employment data skipped because it is not relevant...

Other (this is apparently important):
    The city has 199 noble houses. Most of them are insignificant.
    The peace is kept by 89 guardsmen. 0,26% of the population, according to my DnD knowledge, this is a very low number. It must be a peaceful place. Or there are some powerful entities that makes it very difficult to go against the rules...
    There are 64 advocates to assist with legal matters. More likely to prosecute people because this is not a State of law.
    For those more concerned about their soul, there are 972 clergymen and 17 priests.
    The lower members of the clergy should be named cultists. Also commonly referred as dragon folder in the holy scripture of Arp egy.

A little OFF-TOPIC but for those interested in my creative process for the country, it might be enjoyable.

The Name of the country: The Sorcerous Dominion of Ithin

Sorcerous refers to magic
    Dominion is a generic political entity, historically for former british colonies (important). It can also be used to describe a state that has absolute control, as in domination. I'll take the second definition.

Ithindeos not refer to anything in particular but there is something special about: it does not require a space after the letter n.

The was this sentence at the top of the page after I saved it. I think it is supposed to be my moto: The arkwright is a were-mimic

I am not sure what this means, but I have some theories.

Arkwright is another reference to the British:

British inventor and manufacturer who patented a machine for spinning cotton thread (1769) and established cotton mills that were among the first to use machinery on a large scale.

and

Arkwright is a skilled shipbuilder (ark=ship)
    So it must have something to do with crafting or an industry.

The last part is more confusing: a were-mimic
    A mimic is a creature that looks like an object but can move.
    A were something is a creature that takes the form of another one given specific conditions, like a were-wolf transformation during the full moon.

A were-mimic would be a creature that is able to change himself into a mimic. The required conditions are unknown and since mimic is a generic term, I can't tell for sure if they are limited to only one shape.

So I have no idea what the moto actually means. Maybe it’s a warning.

Maybe there is a large creature mimicking a shipyard. That is uncommon, I bet no GM taught about that one.

To continue my previous post:

Ithinis a totalitarian regime rules by an Illithid elite. Most of the beasts (read:humans) are in complete servitude but some have a will of their own.
    Those possessing magical abilities form a separate caste and while still inferior to their rulers, are a step above the other animals.
    The country regards it's neighbour as savages but allow trading in the tradeposts encircling the country. Foreigners are not allowed further in.

This is a draft of the map showing the placement of the different elements. It's not a wip yet.
    It is not a planet, it's just that the country is shaped like a disc.
    The names are not fillers. Ithinians never bothered to learn other countries names, they just give them generic ones according to their geographic position.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dominionIthin.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	106471

Globe ? Me likey

Looking good for a start, Azélor!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	ithin wip 1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	106502

No, it's not a globe and and it's not a star map either.
    I might still tweak the lightning effect.
    I think the font is too flashy.

Your WIP are just so mysterious, Azélor ! I'm eager to see where you're going with this !!

Mithlone seems to be the space capital, where all roads converge.
    -- Maps and Watercolor --

In french :
    Mon tipeee : come and support my work
    https://mondelys.wordpress.com/ : Here I write and I draw the Encyclopedia of Lys
    https://manaearth.wordpress.com/ : Discover the table rpg Mana Earth

A floating kingdom seen at night ?

This is very vague and teasing. Really have no idea how to interpret this, but looking forward to finding out!

A floating kingdom seen at night ?
    In a sense, yes it does float.
    https://cosmosmagazine.com/geoscienc...c-plates-float

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	ithin wip 1.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	106511

The country is ruled by Mind flayers. They only represent a minority of the population, likely less than 5%.
    They come from the Far realms which is hard to describe by definition. Yet at least we know that it does not follow the same laws of physics. Not our laws.
    I will see if I can add strange things that violate our laws. It could be subtle or completely crazy.
    Also, since many people are mind controlled, they could do things that normal humans would not.
    Last edited by Azélor; 04-20-2018 at 07:43 PM.