Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: April / May '18 Lite Challenge: Create a Bookcover!

Default April / May '18 Lite Challenge: Create a Bookcover!

April / May '18 Lite Challenge: Create a Bookcover!

For this challenge I am going to combine the ideas I had with an idea suggested by Straf. I want you to create a Bookcover. I want it to show a map using the shape I will include at the bottom of this post. (Now for Straf's idea: All the names on the map AND every name shown on the bookcover have to be names of famous musicians or music bands.

Win a silver compass, you know you want one, it is calling your name.

The Challenge will run until the end of the day on the 14th of May, (Midnight eastern daylight time between the 14th and 15th, more or less, depending on when I can get to the computer to start the voting) and then there will be 3 days of voting. Someone is going to win a Shiny Silver Compass, could be you!

As usual, title your threads: "April / May '18 Lite Challenge: << your title here >> "

Don't forget to put the hashtag: ### Latest WIP ### in front of all WIP pictures, and especially in front of your final map. And for you new members, there is a WIP button that automatically posts this for you. Try it, You'll like it!

And remember, if you put more than one image on the same post, only one of them gets picked up.

Quick rules reminder: The Lite Challenge is open to anyone who has not already won 3 Silver compasses, 1 Gold Compass, or been selected as a featured Cartographer's Choice Map.
    Also, the map has to be started after the first day of the challenge, no reusing older maps even if they were not finished.
    Come on now, you know you want to do this!!

Here is the Shape you need to use. I have included 2 versions of it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Island1a.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	113.7 KB 
ID:	106493 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Island1b.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	106494

Oh this sounds like a lot of fun!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

The shape can be anything ? A map, a stain, a fingerprint ?

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    The shape can be anything ? A map, a stain, a fingerprint ?
    I was thinking along those same lines JO (great minds? ). Then I put my lawyer glasses on and re-read the description.
    I think the Bogermeister did actually lock us into using his shape for a map:
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    I want it to show a map using the shape I will include at the bottom of this post.

Quote Originally Posted by mixerbach View Post
    I was thinking along those same lines JO (great minds? ). Then I put my lawyer glasses on and re-read the description.
    I think the Bogermeister did actually lock us into using his shape for a map:
    There's still plenty of ways to interpret that I guess. You could use it as a stain or fingerprint, and use that on or in your map. That ways you've still used the shape. It could also be the shape of on of the cities shown on the map, or a super weird kind of signature and many other things. That the way I imagine it at least

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A310F met Tapatalk

Guild Artisan

Does the whole shape have to be on the cover? I was thinking of enlarging it and only a portion would be visible then, but it would still be the actual shape, just only a portion of it.

The idea was to use the shape to create a map ( as we have done for a couple other very popular challenges) but if you have a clever way to use the shape on the cover, then go for it. Same answer for Kier, if it looks good, go ahead and do it. The voters are the ones who decide what they like after all.

Here's how I look at it from the point of view that these challenges somewhat simulate being hired for a commission:
    If I were the author of the book and was hiring you to make the cover, I specified that I wanted the map in that shape on the cover. But if your design is something I had not even thought of and it looks great, I might change my mind and go with your idea. But it is a risk, the author might say " NO I want what exactly what I asked for." You never know which way it might go.
    Last edited by Bogie; 04-19-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Hmm have a few ideas about the cover but stuck trying to figure out how to incorporate the musician/band names...
    Are we allowed to translate them? Or do they have to be recognisable? (and on that note can I include a few I'm fairly sure the majority won't have heard or do they have to be reasonably "famous"?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ifrix View Post
    Hmm have a few ideas about the cover but stuck trying to figure out how to incorporate the musician/band names...
    Are we allowed to translate them? Or do they have to be recognisable? (and on that note can I include a few I'm fairly sure the majority won't have heard or do they have to be reasonably "famous"?)
    Do what works best for you, but my advice is, if you want people to show interest, it is good to appeal to your audience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accordionists and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ue_pop_artists and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_K-pop_artists would be good places to start finding names ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_musicians if you want to be a little less specialized ). I'm sure that most people will forgive you if your land isn't named after a Finnish experimental accordionist, but some might not be so easy-going. "Carpathian Forest", "Keep of Kalessin", "Goatwhore", and "Dark Forest" all seem to be perfectly acceptable names for black metal bands, so it really shouldn't be too hard to find just about anything that you want.
    Last edited by waldronate; 04-20-2018 at 01:00 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast