Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guildia - A Map of This Place :)

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Beautiful map !
    Thank you, JO (for the rep as well)!

Quote Originally Posted by Ramah View Post
    Very beautiful. Love it.
    Thanks for the rep, Ramah!

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Really cool map... Your skill with watercolor is improving drastically from the first attempt I remember you doing (and even that was light years ahead of me). As others have said before me, extremely beautiful. The buildings and ships are especially good inkwork though.
    Glad to hear that you are seeing a great improvement. That's the result of me joining this amazing community of encouraging people. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DanielHasenbos View Post
    As I said over on Instagram, this is an amazing piece! It's so full of detail and tiny things to discover!
    Thanks, Daniel! I think this should be one of the main characteristics of a fantasy map: lots of things to discover, the more the better. I do plan to work on that and make my future maps ever more "crowded"

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    A great map beautifully done nopkin. Congratulations on your first compass. The watercolours are just perfectly balanced IMHO
    Thanks again, Straf!

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    I love this map! Really, honestly, no kidding. And the traditional pen and paper mapping isn't really my thing, but there's a certain mood to this one, mostly given by the quality watercoloring, that is just PRECIOUS!

And the fact that I'm "an obelisk at the far end of the island" and have waldronate for a neighbour is very flattering to me. Which probably makes the stream of compliments above a little biased.. but hey, I'm entitled

Really well done, nopkin, one to be proud and save forever.
    Thanks, Pixie (for the rep too). I'm glad you like your obelisk.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleri View Post
    Yup, can only agree everyone before me - a wonderful, wonderful piece of cartography! You really nailed the colors, and your inkwork is just beautiful. Also, my tower is awesome and I love it I'm clearly some crazy old sorceress living in the solitude of my tower with my army of black cats, yes?
    Thank you, Kelleri! Well, since this is the guild's map, not mine, I guess everyone can be whatever they want, regardless of what I think of both sorcery and cats

Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
    Congrats again (my other post, on Current Lite Mapping Challenge forum is not published yet).

Your map is exactly what i would know like to know how to draw, with watercolor. Today, i don't have the good paper and watercolor. Could you tell me what you are using ?
    The different stages of your creation are very instructive in any case.
    Thanks, Narc! For this one I've used Arches 100% cotton 300gsm paper and Schmincke Akademie watercolor. I think you should start with what you have, just make sure you are using some kind of watercolor paper, even if it isn't the most expensive (I've used Canson XL for a while). Also, don't get too preoccupied with the paints, as they don't make a very big difference in the beginning, in my opinion. The same with the brushes. Of course there is a place for artist grade paints and sable brushes, but I've come to learn that the single most important thing in watercolor is the paper and it makes a world of difference whether you are using good paper or not. However, don't let any of this stop you. Just go for the best paper you can find / afford and get your feet wet. Watercolor is a great medium. I'm still a beginner myself, but if you have any other questions, I'd be glad to help if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    A success in so many points, but even if I especially love your calligraphy and the sea & ships, those mountains are where I'm going to live for a while
    Thanks, Beee! Glad that you like your mountains, I hope you'll have a good time there...
    — Don't compare your beginning with someone else's middle —

My Instagram: Mr.Nopkin ॥ Mostly maps and calligraphy

Great map, Nopkin! The drawing is excellent and the colors are really a treat.

Thank you Nopkin to answer me.
    I'm agree, the paper is my first problem. My watercolors cost me 15€... i still think that i can have better
    I will continue to work watercolor and learn how draw montains and forests, and trees, and... make maps.
    -- Maps and Watercolor --

In french :
    Mon tipeee : come and support my work
    https://mondelys.wordpress.com/ : Here I write and I draw the Encyclopedia of Lys
    https://manaearth.wordpress.com/ : Discover the table rpg Mana Earth

Always love some hand painted mappery and this is very wonderful. Great job!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Sorry for my lateness. Where can I buy my fan club membership ?

Great map with nice paint-looking style
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

I really like this one! Your watercolours are improving at full power nopkin!
    Keep going!!

Guild Applicant

This is great! I love the texture from the watercolor, I need to play around with those more.

This is so awesome, it is hard to find something that could be improved, but I think the water around the ships could look a bit more watery. It looks a bit like some of the ships might have become stranded on grassy islands. I think it's the way that you've built up under the ship, rather than more generally around it, and the color seems to be greener than the sea in general. It's not something I noticed looking at the map as a whole, but it did become obvious once I started looking at the ships specifically. The ships themselves look great, as does the illustrative detail in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Great map, Nopkin! The drawing is excellent and the colors are really a treat.
    Thanks a lot, Ilanthar!

Quote Originally Posted by Narc View Post
    Thank you Nopkin to answer me.
    I'm agree, the paper is my first problem. My watercolors cost me 15€... i still think that i can have better
    I will continue to work watercolor and learn how draw montains and forests, and trees, and... make maps.
    Perfect, that's the right attitude If I can help you with anything, feel free to ask here - or create a new thread; there are a lot of helpful people in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    Sorry for my lateness. Where can I buy my fan club membership ?
    LOOOOL, Thomas! You're too kind!

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Great map with nice paint-looking style
    Thanks, Voolf (for the rep too)!

Quote Originally Posted by MapMappingMapped View Post
    I really like this one! Your watercolours are improving at full power nopkin!
    Keep going!!
    Thank you, MMM! I do plan to keep improving, although from now on, the pressure is getting higher...

Quote Originally Posted by rdanhenry View Post
    This is so awesome, it is hard to find something that could be improved, but I think the water around the ships could look a bit more watery. It looks a bit like some of the ships might have become stranded on grassy islands. I think it's the way that you've built up under the ship, rather than more generally around it, and the color seems to be greener than the sea in general. It's not something I noticed looking at the map as a whole, but it did become obvious once I started looking at the ships specifically. The ships themselves look great, as does the illustrative detail in general.
    Thanks for the rep and your comment! I got inspiration for the water around the ships from a couple of old maps in an atlas I have. They looked great there and I tried to mimic that, but those maps were in a different style. So I totally agree with you, they do look somewhat off on my map, and it's helpful to hear that from somebody else too. I am trying to be more conscious about the decisions I'm making and strive for a more cohesive look with my maps, so your point comes at the perfect time. Thank you, I appreciate it a lot!
    — Don't compare your beginning with someone else's middle —

My Instagram: Mr.Nopkin ॥ Mostly maps and calligraphy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast