Thread: Scale advice

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Scale advice

Hi everyone, and pleased to meet you !

I recently discovered the board game Andor, and we enjoyed it very much.

This is the main map of the board game Andor.

This experience gave me the desire to create my own board game, mostly based on the Andor mechanisms, but may a bit less challenging and with longer travels etc.
    The way to move on the map would be the same : you spen one action point (or our) to move to an adjacent tile.
    It would take like 4-5 days to cross the map from the left to the right (roughly 22 tiles), and 3-4 dray days from the top to the bottom (15-18 tiles).

Drawing shapeless tiles next to each other isn't a probleme here, but when I tried to add some aesthetic I had a problem, named Scale.

I also would like to implements "type of zones" (moutains, forest, swamps etc.) where heroes could go. Zones of 6-8 adjacent tiles, which is a lot if not well managed.
    The type of area on which the heroe stand could affect a fight (dwarfs stronger in moutains etc.
    (also, for example, the tiles of the forest are smaller than the path that bypasses it to simulate a slower progression in this environment.

So for drawing the map I need a scale that fit this description and have difficulties finding it.
    How to draw "moutains" where heroe can go, distinguish them from impassables ridges, and all without covering the entire map of moutains.

I also want to tell I have no real experience in mapmaking, and would like to know if you could give me some advices or examples to help me in my task.
    (The map absolutly doesn't need to be pretty at this stage, it's mainly in order to test the mechanics in more "real" conditions than tiles without any terrain under it. This is absolutely not ment to be a commercial projet, but just for my wife, my friends and me).

Than you in advance !

Best regards, Karrig
    Last edited by Karrig; 05-04-2018 at 04:43 AM. Reason: complements