27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 88.89%
  • No

3 11.11%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Map a City

Default Map a City

Hello , I wanted to propose my idea , How about mapping a City , could be ancient , Medieval or modern , a City or a Metropolis, isometric, bidimensional or tridimensional ...
    Have a story background explaining how and why it was founded or evolved and feature some monuments in it ...

To help the idea https://donjon.bin.sh/fantasy/random...;culture=Roman

From Town to Metropolis
    Human Race
    Any Culture desired

Minimum of 3 or more Monuments to be included or showed in the map .

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

If we do this, should we make it a two-monther? I don't know if just one month is enough time for a city. What do you guys think?

Well you know me, I could do a city in a week or less - I need to create some city maps soon for my Kaidan in space setting, but yeah, most people, it might take more than a month to accomplish.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

It depends if you want to give people time to do things like pretty pictures of monuments as inserts around the border of the map. Two months would probably generate greater variety of entrants since it would allow time for the more extravagant styles.

I think a lot of people can do a top view city plan in a week - more so these days with useful aids like Watabou.itch.io to get something going really fast. Its the ISO styles and fine art illustrations that take longer - especially if you don't use Blender or Sketchup at all.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yeah, I'm thinking of it from the point of view of dinosaurs like me who just can't seem to wrap their minds around new software. I've been trying to learn Sketchup since that disastrous cross-section entry I tried to do months ago, and... fail.

But - I guess that's the point of a challenge - it shouldn't be easy. Hmm. If I run this, it won't be until later in the year; we just had a donjon challenge, and July will be our annual donjon Fantasy Random Generator ("Son of Random Fantasy Generator"?), so maybe around October or so. I'll keep it on my radar though for sure, and if there's enough of a clamoring for it here, it could be moved up...

It really depends on what kind of city a person goes for, but I think it'd be a good candidate for a two monther. Even a straight up top down city took me more than a month, but I'm slow at everything. However the problem with two month challenges is keeping up the intensity of the competition for the second month.

I find that if I make up little stories in my head about a couple of characters who live in whichever small sector of the city I'm working on at the time, it helps to keep going for much longer than if I take a totally dispassionate view. If I see the countless little boxes as particular homes instead of the countless little boxes they actually they are on my map, I don't get half as bored with the labour of drawing the things

If this is run later in the year - especially if it's a 2 monther - then count me in!

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Oh I am definitely in - if its a 2 monther

Later in the year means I will probably have resolved my crippled PC problem by then

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Later in the year means I will probably have resolved my crippled PC problem by then
    She says as she works on a big city anyways...

The story thing is a pretty good, idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast