Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jigoku - Japanese Hell as a Planet

Default Jigoku - Japanese Hell as a Planet

I might place more than just this planet here, but I'm working on nine planets or moons that I need for the Kaidan Interstellar Empire of Japanese Horror (Starfinder RPG) setting that I'm publishing as third party. I've already posted the Kaidan homeworld and the kappa moon for this set of nine, but now I'm working on a planet that is a bit more challenging so will take longer to do. Long ago I did an experiment by creating a maelstrom (whirlpool) of land (instead of water), and I always wanted to use that concept somewhere, so I'm including it in this map - it's the swirl of land along the coast to the south east. Mountain ranges, river systems, hills and other terrain features slowly migrate towards the maelstrom to be annihilated. So with the volcanic activity to one side and the maelstrom on the other - this is a planet of creation and destruction in the most violent way. I've got the volcanic activity done, but the rest are placeholders for now, as this is a work-in-progress. Enjoy!

I'll post the two planet maps and their globe versions, I posted in the Finished Maps forum, then the WIP of Jigoku...

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jigoku-01.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	944.7 KB 
ID:	106814Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kaidan-planet-final.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	106810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kaidan.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	1,016.9 KB 
ID:	106811Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kappa-final.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	106812Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kappa.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	1,020.7 KB 
ID:	106813
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Jigoku, homeworld of the Oni, is a hellish planet within layers of a gas giant, with magi-tech keeping the terrestrial gravity at 1.5 Gs, while the rest of the sky and beneath the surface is 50 Gs of force. This gigantic planet contains several anomalies and support a huge population of demonic oni in a variety of species, under the rulership of a god, Emma-o, lord of Hell. The oni are a warlike race of powerful magi-tech users and have enslaved most of the yokai races, at least those on the moons that orbit the gas giant. The globe view can only be seen within the lowest and only breathable atmosphere layer about 100 miles over the terrestrial surface - above heavy toxic and corrosive gases layer over it, though light from the sun is magnified and brings daylight to the surface even through the gaseous cloud layers...

GP

Name:	jigoku-final.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	106830Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jigoku-globe.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	933.3 KB 
ID:	106831
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Now I'm working on an Earth-like planet called Obake that is home to the Hengeyokai and Kitsune, a forested and mountainous continents (will do those tomorrow, but you can see where the mountains will go, on the highland areas). Notably, this world is undergoing the ending of an ice age, with those melt water lakes forming behind the ice dams at the glacial edge - someday, one or more of those ice dams will break, wreaking havoc to their south...

This is a work in progress...

GP

Name:	obake-01.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	106834
    DrivethruRPG store

That is a very nice design GamerPrinter ! I like it a lot !

Thanks, ThomasR!

This is the planet of Obake (oh-bah-keh) which literally means "shapechanger", and is the homeworld of the hengeyokai tribes, the kitsune, and the bakeneko (cat shapechanger). This is a heavily mountainous and forested world currently suffering an ice age in it's northern hemisphere though are beginning to recede. Those huge melt water lakes will eventually cause those ice dams in front of them to breach and cause a catastrophe to the lands below. Enjoy!

GP

Name:	obake-final.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	106836Click image for larger version. 

Name:	obake.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	848.5 KB 
ID:	106837
    DrivethruRPG store

Next planet of the project, this is a terrestrial world called Hebi, and is the homeworld of the hebi-onna (snake women - matriarchal society) and a particularly nasty snake shapechanger, jungles or deserts dominate the continents of this world, both condusive to reptilian living.

GP

Name:	hebi.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	106856Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hebi.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	990.0 KB 
ID:	106857
    DrivethruRPG store

Experiment only, this is supposed to be the tengu planet, Kowareta (which means "broken") is destroyed by an oni weapon test, but the planet still has frozen ice for water, an unstable atmosphere, so the resident population of tengu are surviving on the various chunks of the planet that still remains. I will see about doing the proper map and see how it goes... This is just a 3D rendered model view - work-in-progress!

GP

Name:	kowareta.png 
Views:	41 
Size:	8.80 MB 
ID:	106874
    DrivethruRPG store

Next planet is the Tengu world, formerly known as Karasu (meaning crow), now is called Kowareta (meaning broken) as the Oni tested a planet destroying weapon on the tengu homeworld, leaving like this. Though the humans have helped the tengu holding this world together with those great connecting pillars... Now I have to make the map for this broken world...

GP

Name:	kowareta.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	106883
    DrivethruRPG store

About a little bit more than half done with the shattered tengu planet of Kowareta (formerly Karasu), nearly annihilated by Oni weapons test in scanner range of Kaidan, as a show of force. Since that time the tengu have covertly working with the Shogun.

GP

Views:	52 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	106888Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kowareta-karasu.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	106887
    DrivethruRPG store

Finally finished.

Kowareta (Karasu) is the planet of the tengu, that was shattered during an Oni show of force weapons test within scanning range of the Kaidan human fleet. Though the planet broke apart, the Kaidanese helped the tengu connect the pieces together to maintain a viable planet until such time that the tengu can relocate. The tengu now covertly work with the humans against their oni ovelords. This globe view was entirely created in 3D to achieve the look.

GPClick image for larger version. 

Name:	kowareta-karasu.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	106913Click image for larger version. 

Views:	38 
Size:	544.6 KB 
ID:	106914
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast