So I'd mentioned going through the processes mentioned by Azélor and Charerg et al. by hand a bit earlier. The first attempt I'd made towards the world with this name (Chord) had the problem that I realized well after proceeding a ways with the landforms I'd put together was that, while I'd modeled some degree of continental drift and placed things like mountain ranges based on plate movements, I'd made a map with pretty much no active orogenesis in the present time.

That seemed pretty implausible so I started over, and made a new map that I think is a little bit more tectonically reasonable (I don't personally need it to be that precise, just good enough). Proceeding along from there I found that the stage I was feeling the most uncertain of was the winds - so I'd like to ask about the reasonability of wind layouts. Something about the way different pressure zones are supposed to impact wind movements I seem to have difficulty compositing into something that feels satisfactory between multiple different influences on the wind patterns.

So - what might need tweaking in the winds laid out in the maps below? I'm a little bit more confident in the pressure zones than the winds themselves, but if there's something particularly glaring there I'd like to know that too. There's not too much that my heart's set on keeping constant so far, with one major exception - I've been trying to set things up so that the southern tip of the polar continent and many of those nearby islands in that sea have an at least livable (if still chilly) climate, rather than an arctic/E climate. Right now I have it under influence from a mild current by way of the winds that tend to go north-east-wards through that area, but might need to come up with something else if that doesn't seem to make sense.

Chord - July Winds (and Pressures):
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	chord-windsJul.png 
Views:	130 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	107023

Chord - January Winds (and Pressures):

Name:	chord-windsJan.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	107024

Chord plates and rough movement directions, for the curious (plates over a pole can of course look like they're moving in very different directions even though it's supposed to be the same direction across a sphere). The large grey lines are the plates, and the thinner black lines are the actual landmasses (yellow lines are rough mountain range locations):

Name:	chord-plates.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	107025