Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Twin River City [WIP]

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    The dark complexion it has going on makes my think of a desert port city, though I'd have to brainstorm a bit over a name, but I imagine is would end in -port. I'll get back with you on some names soon!

Edit: How about Solaceport!
    The desert comment made me think of giving the buildings and the wall a more earthy color.
    Solace? Sounds intriguing. I'll keep it mind.
    It doesn't need the port. It is not a must have for a port city. Take Hong Kong for example, no port in the name. But, it is one heck of a sea trading city as far as I know.

What about Akker
    or City of Preaska?

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Heya!

Today I tried something and it worked beautifully!
    First off I added a nice and earthy color for the walls. I tried a color for the roads, but it is still up in the air.

Now, what came out nicely was when I added both cast shadows and core shadows to some of the main buildings.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Preaska_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	5.38 MB 
ID:	108133

There are still a few things I am wondering about, like that empty circle in the right side of the city, I am not sure what to put there...
    Anyway, let me know what you think and have a nice day.

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

I like what you did with the wall colors, though I think a bit brighter of a brown/tan color would serve better to make the streets pop against all the dark line work, not too bright though, as the overall complexion is fairly dark.

Solace just popped into mind so I ran with it, it's usually somewhat difficult to think up a compelling name without a little backstory/major landmarks/culture put forth. It will look really good when all the shadows are in place, and every right now it's great great work, Cali.

I like what you did with the wall colors, though I think a bit brighter of a brown/tan color would serve better to make the streets pop against all the dark line work, not too bright though, as the overall complexion is fairly dark.

Solace just popped into mind so I ran with it, it's usually somewhat difficult to think up a compelling name without a little backstory/major landmarks/culture put forth. It will look really good when all the shadows are in place, and every right now it's great great work, Cali.
    I'll see if the brighter wall color would do better. Though, the colors are quite saturated, so it will probably have to be kept lower.
    Thanks.
    I just realized how much time will have to be spent on the rest of the city's shadows. But, I agree

The story will come when I feel most of the grind work of the city is done.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Helloa!

Today I threw a few extra core shadows on the mountains and cliffs.
    Then the grind began..... I wanted to do the ROOF shadows from rest of the city. As I started doing them, I realized this is going to be a crazy amount of work. Luckily the inspiration hit me, so I created a Layer: Roof Solid Shadow. Then, I proceeded to paint ever roof's shadow side with a SOLID blue color. It took some time, five hours + to be more precise. But, it would have taken a lot more to tailor each shadow on their roofs.
    In the end I could Alpha to selection the roofs and create a layer: Roof Shadows. Throwing a black into the selection and then just turning down the Opacity of the layer and whallah. Just one more thing. I threw a Gausian blur of 2 points on that layer to take away any stray rigid lines.

Just to admit, I am reeeeeally happy to be mostly finished with the Roof shadows in a single day.
    Next time I'm tackling the core shadows and cast shadows of the buildings....

>>Question, what do you all think I should add to the islands next to the bridge?

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Preaska__RoofShadows_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	5.28 MB 
ID:	108155
    Last edited by XCali; 07-04-2018 at 11:47 AM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Hi

Edit: Humor me, I thought of a name that could be fitting. The city of Thunder Cliffs
    What do you think?

Today, was a lot of repetitive work. I did the Cast shadows for the houses. I wanted to do it for the entire city today, but it got to me when I finished half of it, so I took a breather. Half of the cast shadows are about done, it might be good to see the difference between the two halves of the city.
    I used the same technique with the roofs, just added using the roof selection to make it less frustrating.

Anyway, here we go.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Preaska__Cast_Shadows_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	5.21 MB 
ID:	108180
    Last edited by XCali; 07-05-2018 at 05:11 PM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

You can totally tell the difference between the two sides, the northwest portion has so much more depth now!

Thunder Cliffs is quite compelling, but are there many thunder storms there?

Question

You can totally tell the difference between the two sides, the northwest portion has so much more depth now!

Thunder Cliffs is quite compelling, but are there many thunder storms there?
    Cool beans!

Yeah, I think I am at 80% for naming it Thunder Cliffs or Thunder Rock. It is something where the story can go there are common thunder storms in the area, or the sea hitting the cliffs sound like rumbling thunder.

Can I ask you and anyone who wish to also answer. Do you like the style of where I am going with this map?
    Last edited by XCali; 07-06-2018 at 12:06 PM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Helloa!

This one I just finished the casting shadows of the buildings, and I brightened up the original drawn city layer.

### Latest WIP ###
    EDIT: The link didn't work for some reason. Though instead of re-uploading it here, I will post it to the next page.
    Last edited by XCali; 07-07-2018 at 06:12 AM.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

For some reason, that last attachment didn't take. But I'm looking at the map you posted yesterday and WHOA, you've made amazing progress! Thanks for walking through your process for the roof shadows, too. It's always good to learn what others are doing. Adding the Gaussian blur was genius.

I'm absolutely loving the style, and I think Thunder Cliffs is a good name. I also just now noticed the beach/cove on the west side - fantastic!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast