Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Twin River City [WIP]

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Help Twin River City [WIP]

Hi everyone,

I'm busy planning and drawing a city map for the purpose of using it for tabletop.
    As this is quite a complicated map, I wanted to get some feedback on the guild.

This planning phase is drawn on an A3 so I'm leaving actual scanning for later on. So sorry if the phone pic is a bit strange.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Twin River City.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	107068

I am asking for thoughts how you guys think I should proceed.

Further along version below:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Twin_River_City_Filteredwith labels.jpeg 
Views:	95 
Size:	7.89 MB 
ID:	107776   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Preaska_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	125 
Size:	5.38 MB 
ID:	108134   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thunder Rock_Title_byOmri.jpeg 
Views:	123 
Size:	5.06 MB 
ID:	109229   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thunder Rock_25op_Glow.jpeg 
Views:	151 
Size:	3.90 MB 
ID:	109442  
    Last edited by XCali; 08-13-2018 at 09:26 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Hi everyone!

Hope you are doing well.
    I thought I'd post an update.

I added in the market and bazaar area and a lot of the more pricey area of the city. And I started with the common area.

Feedback is welcome.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	20180525_121707.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	107273

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

It's look great, XCali! I especially like how you've drawn the city gates, although it looks slightly off to have the wall going "over" the gates. I like the different building shapes, and I'm very curious about the structure with 3 round parts connected by more narrow passageways. I also think you've done a nice job at having the city spread out over the two cliffs.

Are there specific areas where you're looking for feedback? Because you're going to use this in-game, are you going to highlight different neighborhoods or specific areas? One thing I've learned from my players is they prefer labels over the map, rather than numbers and a legend, so they immediately know where their PCs are located. But every player is different and mine seem particularly challenged, probably because our healing potions are usually alcoholic.

Quote Originally Posted by aeshnidae View Post
    It's look great, XCali! I especially like how you've drawn the city gates, although it looks slightly off to have the wall going "over" the gates. I like the different building shapes, and I'm very curious about the structure with 3 round parts connected by more narrow passageways. I also think you've done a nice job at having the city spread out over the two cliffs.

Are there specific areas where you're looking for feedback? Because you're going to use this in-game, are you going to highlight different neighborhoods or specific areas? One thing I've learned from my players is they prefer labels over the map, rather than numbers and a legend, so they immediately know where their PCs are located. But every player is different and mine seem particularly challenged, probably because our healing potions are usually alcoholic.
    Hehehe, thanks!
    I'm trying to add as much variety in my building shapes. I have a feeling that promotes the imagination to creating stories . I'm not yet at a place of deciding what exactly the more unique buildings are, but I am getting there. The wall over the gate thing, I can understand that and I have no idea why I did it that way. But, I'm still in the pencil only stage, so it can change if it really is jarring.

The label feedback is good. I can even create multiple versions of it. One without, one with just words and one with numbers and a legend. I think the feedback I desperately need is what is needed for a city map that is used for a RPG or what would be cool to be added to one. I love the idea of table top RPG's, but I have never had the privilege to play one sadly. I create maps for others to play on it for now.

I'll send an update tomorrow. Thanks for checking it out.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Okay, here is an update. I fleshed out the more common area and added the Theater's bazaar and the Grand bazaar is in the richer districts. I did leave quite a few areas for trees.
    Anyway, I'm getting closer to where I'm going to pen over. So, any feedback that make this city better is very welcome.
    ### Latest WIP ###

Name:	1528357939071-1814875904.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	4.06 MB 
ID:	107601

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    The label feedback is good. I can even create multiple versions of it. One without, one with just words and one with numbers and a legend. I think the feedback I desperately need is what is needed for a city map that is used for a RPG or what would be cool to be added to one. I love the idea of table top RPG's, but I have never had the privilege to play one sadly. I create maps for others to play on it for now.
    Multiple versions, labeled and not, are always good for RPGs. As for what is needed on a city map, I've learned that it's very dependent on the players. But if I'm not sure what the PCs need or how the players will act, I follow a few rules of thumb. For a large city, I usually break it down by neighborhood or district so the players have an idea of what they might find in a certain area. For instance, I usually have a Scholar's District so that the PCs can track down certain books or talk to people who can give them key bits of information (this is usually where the mages live, too). I always have a Market District so the PCs can re-supply or purchase specialty items and an Artisan's District (or Craftsmen's District) so they can have repairs done to their belongings. I have a Royal District or Noble District or Administrative District where the fancy people live and run the town, city, or perhaps kingdom; often this is next to a Military District, or at least some barracks where members of the city guard live. Usually I have a Guild District because two of the PCs belong to guilds, and they can usually find safety with their fellow guild members and brush up on current events.

For settlements smaller than a large city (and sometimes for districts within a large city), I note specific buildings - public buildings (where the PCs might be able to exchange money, make use of weights and measures, send messages, or pay to have valuables stored), theaters, stables, temples, taverns/inns, festival fields, etc. For decently sized settlements, I always have several taverns and/or inns and I give them distinct names and personalities (the Freeman's Rest is a classy inn frequented by well-to-do merchants; the Bawdy Brewer is a rough and tumble honky-tonk tavern with a boxing ring in the basement). I also name certain shops, such as apothecaries and magic shops (where those exist). Then there's stuff like parks, commonly-held farms and orchards, and various types of housing. If a town/city is known for something in particular, I make sure to include that. My town of Brynehall, for instance, exports whiskey and wool, so it has a distillery and a wool mill visible on the town map.

You can also forgo names and just use icons - a mug for taverns, a sword for weapons merchants, a breastplate for the armorer, etc.

I think your most recent city map layout looks great! Adding the common area and bazaars definitely gives it the feel of a bustling city.

Quote Originally Posted by aeshnidae View Post
    Multiple versions, labeled and not, are always good for RPGs. As for what is needed on a city map, I've learned that it's very dependent on the players. But if I'm not sure what the PCs need or how the players will act, I follow a few rules of thumb. For a large city, I usually break it down by neighborhood or district so the players have an idea of what they might find in a certain area. For instance, I usually have a Scholar's District so that the PCs can track down certain books or talk to people who can give them key bits of information (this is usually where the mages live, too). I always have a Market District so the PCs can re-supply or purchase specialty items and an Artisan's District (or Craftsmen's District) so they can have repairs done to their belongings. I have a Royal District or Noble District or Administrative District where the fancy people live and run the town, city, or perhaps kingdom; often this is next to a Military District, or at least some barracks where members of the city guard live. Usually I have a Guild District because two of the PCs belong to guilds, and they can usually find safety with their fellow guild members and brush up on current events.

For settlements smaller than a large city (and sometimes for districts within a large city), I note specific buildings - public buildings (where the PCs might be able to exchange money, make use of weights and measures, send messages, or pay to have valuables stored), theaters, stables, temples, taverns/inns, festival fields, etc. For decently sized settlements, I always have several taverns and/or inns and I give them distinct names and personalities (the Freeman's Rest is a classy inn frequented by well-to-do merchants; the Bawdy Brewer is a rough and tumble honky-tonk tavern with a boxing ring in the basement). I also name certain shops, such as apothecaries and magic shops (where those exist). Then there's stuff like parks, commonly-held farms and orchards, and various types of housing. If a town/city is known for something in particular, I make sure to include that. My town of Brynehall, for instance, exports whiskey and wool, so it has a distillery and a wool mill visible on the town map.

You can also forgo names and just use icons - a mug for taverns, a sword for weapons merchants, a breastplate for the armorer, etc.

I think your most recent city map layout looks great! Adding the common area and bazaars definitely gives it the feel of a bustling city.
    Wow that post is filled to the brim with good ideas! Thanks! The just icons map is also a stellar addition to a multiple set of maps for this one.
    I added a mining village close to the mountains today and two lighthouses and quite a few extra tidbits. But I'll post it tomorrow if I can. Also, I'm getting closer to wanting to tackle the old ruins part of the city. Anything you'd like to see there?

Really thanks for discussing this with me. It helps in getting me thinking about what should go where and what would be fun for players.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Blog Entries

Looking really good! I love your layout and road configuration in particular!
    Mapping blog, my maps mixed with the maps of many other people: https://oldearthmapping.tumblr.com
    Avatar by the fantastic Brian Farrar: https://artblaster.tumblr.com

This is looking great. Interested to see your next update.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Heya!
    Here is a quick update!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	2018-06-10 18.30.37.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	233.5 KB 
ID:	107700

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast