Quote Originally Posted by Weery View Post
I think I'd like to know more about conlanging (I currently know so little that I wouldn't even attempt it) but it sounds like a rabbit hole that you could just keep going down for ages But that book does look interesting...

I hope to post more on this soon Aeshnidae. I keep an excel sheet with all the details in case I ever get the map complete so I can use the data on a Google maps type programme. But I don't really know how to do that bit yet either. Dream big I guess
Nice! I also have an Excel sheet with info about my game world (way, way more than will ever make it into the game). I'm always interested in how other people organize (or not) their creative processes.

Quote Originally Posted by Neyasha View Post
It's a bit hard to describe, at least in English (although I'm used to read in English a lot, my active language skills are quite rusty), but when it comes to Westeros the main problem is, that a lot of names are just literally translated, without considering the structure of typical German toponyms. And sometitimes there are just parts of the names translated, which leads to weird hybrid forms, for example: Mummer's Fort > Mummersfurt (but in German it should be Mummenfurt) or Casterly Rock > Casterlystein. Of course their are some names which work great, but overall Westeros doesn't have a "real" or "historical" feeling in the German translation, but more a "typical fantasy" feeling.
Your active language skills seem quite good to me. Thanks for explaining (Azélor, thank you, too), that makes a lot of sense. And while I don't speak German, just the sounds of the names you listed from Middle Earth evoke a certain feeling.