Thread: Felmyr Place Names (WIP)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm very curious as to why this is. Why do think French names sound odd to you?
    Condom, diffidently
    . but I don't really have good examples right now, It's more a feeling.

Ok maybe not France but Haiti (a former colonial possession of France) has very strange names if you look on Google map assuming you have some knowledge of French. I assume but could be wrong, that when the slave got their freedom, they did not really speak the language but named towns with French names without knowing the meaning of the words used. Examples: Cabaret, Cul de Sac (dead end) , Pont Janvier (bridge built in january?), Bonnet, Risque but Savane Zombi is probably the best one I could find in a quick search.

I speak French but I'm from Québec. It must be a cultural thing. French only emerged as the dominant language of France recently. During the Revolution, half the French did not speak French well or not at all. They spoke regional languages that are not all ineligible from one to another. France is an older country with many different cultural influences.

Here I'd say that it is less diverse maybe. We have a lot of names based on Saints like St Louis in the US or St Lawrence/St-Laurent, French historical characters: Laval, Chomedey, or based on native American languages. Very few people speak these languages but they are everywhere so these names don't sound odd to me at all: Quebec, Canada, Ottawa, Saskatoon, Ontario, Manhattan, Massachusetts are just a few examples.
    Last edited by Azélor; 05-24-2018 at 08:47 PM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Weery View Post
    There's definitely something that pulls you in to a place like Slaughter Beach or a nightmare clearing. Where I grew up there was an abandoned old house named Grouse Lodge alone in a wild orchard down the fields. We were always sneaking down there. The name struck fear into me for years.

Until I learned that a grouse is actually a portly bird and not the terrifying monster I imagined it to be
    Well, birds did used to be terrifying flying dinosaurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Azélor View Post
    Here I'd say that it is less diverse maybe. We have a lot of names based on Saints like St Louis in the US or St Lawrence/St-Laurent, French historical characters: Laval, Chomedey, or based on native American languages. Very few people speak these languages but they are everywhere so these names don't sound odd to me at all: Quebec, Canada, Ottawa, Saskatoon, Ontario, Manhattan, Massachusetts are just a few examples.
    Chesapeake, Susquehanna, Chincoteague, Anacostia, Patapsco...you're right, Azélor, there are so many places with Native American names, and I'm so used to them that they don't sound odd.

BTW, Azélor, your heraldry is gorgeous! And the names on your Leohtwald map do give me a feel for the place.

Quote Originally Posted by aeshnidae View Post
    Well, birds did used to be terrifying flying dinosaurs.

Chesapeake, Susquehanna, Chincoteague, Anacostia, Patapsco...you're right, Azélor, there are so many places with Native American names, and I'm so used to them that they don't sound odd.

BTW, Azélor, your heraldry is gorgeous! And the names on your Leohtwald map do give me a feel for the place.
    Thanks! Now I'm considering redoing the map. Having the names and geographic elements already placed will save me a ton of decision making.

I'd be interested in the doc if you had it as I'm always keen to learn from/plagiarise other peoples work and experiences
    I really can't find it. It might have been deleted or I just can't find it for some reason. I also have names written on a sheet but I don't know where it is.

translation of The Song of Ice and Fire is some kind of disaster
    It is a disaster in French too.