Quote Originally Posted by Weery View Post
I remember Robin Hobb doing this type of thing in her writing but for a map maker it might be something so simple as including an unexplained location to make the reader curious. For example, in my Grimmsmouth map I have indicated in a forest, a small location called a nightmare clearing and provided no explanation. Not the biggest deal, but it still serves to break down the illusion I'm creating of a normal industrialising city.
!
My players would run straight towards something called nightmare clearing. I very much like the concept of introducing something to pique the readers'/players' interest. Dragonlance (my cornerstone fantasy series) had Darken Wood. And in real life, as I drive towards my favorite beach town, I pass a place called Slaughter Beach. All of the other towns have benign names like Farmington, Jefferson, Riverview...and then there's Slaughter Beach. It always strikes me and I wondered about it for years. (Google educated me. It's either named after William Slaughter or it's the place of a massacre of the indigenous residents. No one is sure which option is correct.) I will definitely think about doing something, just a little thing, out of the ordinary when I make my next game map.

I'm very glad that you liked my Ehalia map and book recommendation. Here's to good reading! And for your next birthday: Boldog Születésnapot!