Thread: Sunderland Coast

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Default Sunderland Coast

Hey everyone! Here's a practice map that served two purposes. One was to work on it mainly in little bits of time that I found during the day. So, mostly at my little guy's music lessons! The second was just to start in with ink, no pencil sketch first. Oh, and I drew it on a piece of beat up glossy cardstock that I got out of the packaging from a pillow cover, so I guess it's recycled too!

This time I decided to put some labels on first, so I didn't forget and have no room. This was maybe five minutes.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bastards1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	107116

Then I drew some coasts and filled in details. I got this far within the 30 minutes of the music lesson.

Name:	bastards2.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	107117

Next time I worked on it I was adding texture. Did this at son's rugby practice session, about 15 minutes.

Name:	bastards3.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	277.3 KB 
ID:	107118

Then I decided to do some little knots in the corners. I confess I'm not sure how long I spent sketching on graph paper to figure these out, but the knots and the extra border lines came together in about 20 minutes. Here's the scan!

Name:	Bastards.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	893.5 KB 
ID:	107119

Explanatory note: I had this idea for a legend that, long ago, the giants marched north and turned to stone underway. Then their bastards came along after and so there's two mountain ranges.

I should probably still do something with the border, fill it in somehow.

Thanks for having a look!

Cheers,
    Meshon

Unfortunate title Rather nice work though. And the corner knots look great.

Music lesson with which instrument(s)? And you have kids' rugby there? I know it's British Commonwealth and there's French influence too but I only got the impression that rugby in Canada was niche.
    I started a DeviantArt page
    https://strafwibble.deviantart.com/

Great little map, Meshon

Are you intending to take it further with shading and colour?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Meshon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    Unfortunate title Rather nice work though. And the corner knots look great.

Music lesson with which instrument(s)? And you have kids' rugby there? I know it's British Commonwealth and there's French influence too but I only got the impression that rugby in Canada was niche.
    It's the piano he's into right now. His teacher is pretty great, they write new songs fairly often as part of his lesson. Yeah, rugby! They have some… judging by the number of people out for the games it's doing alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Great little map, Meshon

Are you intending to take it further with shading and colour?
    I just may do that!

Thanks for checking it out!

Meshon

A really cool map for a one-hour project, congrats ! It would have been great for the new Lite Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Meshon View Post
    Oh, and I drew it on a piece of beat up glossy cardstock that I got out of the packaging from a pillow cover, so I guess it's recycled too!
    I have ton of sketches on the weirdest piece of paper... Thanks to you, I'll now think to myself as an environmentalist instead of just absent-minded or messy

Lovely work. I looked at the pics before I read your comment and was a little amused/bemused by how you'd named the files! The corner elements are fab. I bought a book on how to draw celtic knots, but I think it actually made me more confused, rather than less (have you ever come across a list of instructions that make a fairly simple thing sound very, very complicated? Well, like that.) Glad you're nailing it.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Looking back at my uncommented thread pile, I stumbled upon your map. It is so clear and crisp ! Lovely one Meshon !