Thread: First attempt at making a map

Question First attempt at making a map

Hi everyone !

So this is my very first attempt at drawing a map. I have discovered wonderful maps recently, particularly Misty Beee's maps and I decided to begin my journey as a map maker

No particular story behind this map, just a test using some techniques I've learned by watching tutos on youtube.

Any advice is greatly appreciate ! There is so much material on the forum that I don't really know where to start to learn map making... Any suggestions like a beginner's guide or a must read for absolute beginners ?

Thanks,

VygClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Carte.jpeg 
Views:	79 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	107180

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Your first attempt at a map? Man, you are off to a running start. Well done! Really!

You already have good grasp on using shadows. And I like your little iso drawings of the structures, mountains and trees.
    I will make one remark, your city/town bottom left kind of stands out against the rest of your map. It is because your map is more Iso and your city/town is top down. Maybe place like a magnifying glass around your city/town. Then the top down nature would look right at place next to all your lovely isomtric drawings. Just something to consider.

But, really good job!

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Oh, I feel like a rock star, now ! That's great for starting a new map-making day ! ^^

Jokes asside, this is a fantastic first map, Vyg !
    I agree with XCali about the isometric/top view conflict, but as it's something you can often see on old maps (look at this one for example : Wetteravia by Blaeu), I have a special friendship for this old-fashioned style
    I especially love your trees and small illustrations (this dolmen is great !). I think I would add some spare trees around the main forest to break the "block".
    If you don't know it, have a look to the book "How to draw Fantasy art & RPG maps" by Jared Blando (@TheRedEpic) : a must have for acquire the basics, but it sounds you already have a good eye !