Thread: My First Attempt at Fantasy Cartography

Default My First Attempt at Fantasy Cartography

Hey all, I am a new member here and its with great trepidation I post this map. I have never seriously attempted cartography before, having absolutely no talent for drawing whatsoever. (Seriously, my stickmen get laughed at when I play pictionary).

This is more of a practice draft than a serous map, with place names and locations drawn from the aether on a whim. That is why many of the place names and locations have been blatantly stolen from popular books and games as I practiced different styles. I would love feedback, and am really hoping to improve my technique if possible.

Thank you all for your time, and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all soon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map 1.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	524.2 KB 
ID:	107447

Guild Expert

Nice start! I think this is pretty good for you’re first attempt, keep it up, practice allot and I’m sure we’ll see great things from you.

Very nice effort. Your geography has a certain logic to it that shows you thought it out. I like the linework a lot. Kudos.

A very great start on map making, Decado, looking smart and clean. When you understand mountains, shading and relief as it seems you do, you just need practice !

I like the relief effect you gave to your map.
    Are you going to add a little color (even if it is finished) ?
    -- Maps and Watercolor --

In french :
    Mon tipeee : come and support my work
    https://mondelys.wordpress.com/ : Here I write and I draw the Encyclopedia of Lys
    https://manaearth.wordpress.com/ : Discover the table rpg Mana Earth

Thank you all for your kind comments and feedback :-)

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

You certainly DO have a talent for drawing, at least when it comes to cartography! I'll bet your non-map drawing skills will improve leaps and bounds with just a little practice. Mine have, and I went through most of my life thinking I sucked at drawing.

I like your mountains quite a bit. The eastern mountains terminate very well at their southernmost point. The western mountains seem to come to an abrupt stop at Cloudcrest. Is that supposed to be a sheer cliff face? I can almost see little people trying to climb it...

I'm going now... I've been drawing maps for years off and on, and I can't do regional maps anywhere near as good as this. Your first map you say, I shrink away in despair...

Just kidding, kind of. For a first map it is really good. You will be outstanding with a bit of practice.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps