Thread: Galaxy Sector Map for Board Game

Guild Applicant Guild Supporter

Help Galaxy Sector Map for Board Game

Hi all,

Hope everyone's going ok.

Theres a lot of great info on this site which I love; however I can't seem to quite find what I'm hoping to achieve.

I am in the process of creating a space opera style board game and I would like to put together a map of the galaxy showing the different sectors of each playable race.
    I've downloaded GIMP 2 (as advised on this site) which is quite neat, however I'm happy to use another program if required.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of a detailed tutorial to assist in the following? I would be very appreciative.

Simply I would like to have a map showing the Milky Way similar to this https://tzontonel.files.wordpress.co...?w=6000&h=3887 but less the smaller images surrounding the galaxy.

I'm creating a separate book/guide for each race and would like to have the same galaxy map shown, however each race to only 'see' the territory they control (this would include systems and inhabited planets) ; with the remaining to be shown like 'fog of war' with no star/ planet info.
    The map should display in a tilted angle, with the controlled sector displaying towards the reader. So the ability to customise would be required.

As each race is different, I would also like the ability to make each galaxy map look different in style if possible. For example, one may be a bit more rustic, robotic, human, primitive etc

I would be very appreciative for any assistance that could be provided and more than happy to provide more details if needed.

Thank you for your time to read this

For tutorials, I'd suggest checking the tutorials at deviantART. They had a active group of space art artists about 8-10 years ago and those people generated some very good tutorials.