Thread: WIP: HELP: First city map ever

Help WIP: HELP: First city map ever

Hey guys!

I'm a DM for Dungeons and Dragons 5e and for the very first time I'm attempting to make a city map with photoshop myself instead of using existing maps or counting on random generating programs.
    I should start by saying I have no artistic talent whatsoever, and my photoshop skills are amateur level at best.
    I have watched some tutorials online aswel as on these forums and the result is what you see. I am still planning on adding: fields on the mainland, trying to add some shading so the houses feel a bit 3 dimensional, cliffs if I can manage it.
    I would love any tips that are doable for me.

I'm afraid I can't add the .psd since it's about 10mb above the forum limit. However if someone wants to take a look at it, I'm sure I can find other means to share it.

Thanks up front!

Mathias
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alyria.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	108112  

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Hi!
    Just to say. Respect. As city maps are one the of the harder maps to attempt, I give it that you boldly went for it.

Okay, as I have done city maps before and is busy doing one right now(Twin River City in this same main thread) one thing you already are good on your way is getting roads look more organic in the city plan. That is always a hard part.

On to you wanting to do cliffs top down. It is quite tricky, but doable. Check out my twin river city for reference. What IS important is shading and highlighting for getting cliffs right. You don't even have to draw the lines in if you go with bold shadows.

1-Layer below your land layer, but above your sea layer. 2-pick a side from where the sun is shining(light source)
    3. Knowing that, if you have cliffs, think about where the sun's direct light WON'T be hitting and throw a nice bold shadow there in shape of your cliff. Take into account if there are walls throwing shadow there too. Try a black with 35% opacity for the shadows. (OR if your more brave multiply the shadow layer that shadow will combine with your texture)optional)
    Next try using a lighter color where the direct light does hit the cliff to make it pop. Reference my mountains on Twin River city.

Shadows for buildings do it on a layer below your buildings.
    That's a few things to try.
    Remember to ask questions if you are unsure.

As I am quite a fan of DnD(Though I have never had the privilege yet to play it.) Here is a free to use map I did. Nessa'mor
    Last edited by XCali; 07-03-2018 at 05:46 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

I like the hexagonal layout of this city, Jester: it's more unusual and interesting. It suggests a mostly planned city, though, in which case you might expect to see a more planned city layout (eg, see Palmanova, Italy).

I recently gave someone some tips on their city map layout in this thread, and you might find some of those tips useful. If you want me to give some advice about the layout of your city directly, let me know - it might take me a few days to a week, but I could probably write up something for you.

It would also be easier to understand what's on your map if you add some labels to show neighbourhoods/landmarks.

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer