Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: June 2018 Challenge: SKYLAND

Wip June 2018 Challenge: SKYLAND

This is my first time doing a monthly challenge! So please let me know if I do anything incorrectly.

This is my initial concept sketch, likely to be altered a bit and more features added. Hoping to do color but we will see what time allows.

I really love Studio Ghibli’s Laputa, so I suppose this is a little inspired by that. It’s set in a world that has just discovered flight, and with it, a land borne up by clouds. Now it’s a race to claim sky islands (skislands? skylands?) for their kings... or something like that, haha, still need to develop the backstory, just spitballing right now really!

### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E1440A01-C4FE-417F-88D2-D49E16C0F525.jpeg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	107661
    Last edited by Diamond; 06-09-2018 at 02:50 PM.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

Wow! As soon as I saw it I thought of Laputa, without even reading your comment. Love it SO much! Can't wait to see the rest of it!
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

Quote Originally Posted by Mimine View Post
    Wow! As soon as I saw it I thought of Laputa, without even reading your comment. Love it SO much! Can't wait to see the rest of it!
    Yay!! Laputa doesn't get as much love as some of the other Ghibli films, but it certainly deserves it. And thank you!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Hey Lizard, great idea!

One thing to be aware of: make sure your WIP tag is formatted correctly. There is actually a WIP button on the right side of the toolbar when you post, so you don't have to worry about typing it correctly.

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

Have you seen The Tale of Princess Kaguya? Probably my favorite, very pure and deep. Makes me cry everythime.
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Hey Lizard, great idea!

One thing to be aware of: make sure your WIP tag is formatted correctly. There is actually a WIP button on the right side of the toolbar when you post, so you don't have to worry about typing it correctly.
    Ah, ok, thank you very much for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Mimine View Post
    Have you seen The Tale of Princess Kaguya? Probably my favorite, very pure and deep. Makes me cry everythime.
    No, but I really want to!

Tale of Princess Kaguya is pretty great. Pretty much anything from that studio is though. =P

Your initial sketch looks great and I don't know if you're aware of it but here is a great trick to do when sketching digitally, because it is slanting to the left. Flipping the entire image horizontally makes it so you can easily see things like that. It's also a useful trick for getting proportions and things right.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Quote Originally Posted by Larb View Post
    Tale of Princess Kaguya is pretty great. Pretty much anything from that studio is though. =P

Your initial sketch looks great and I don't know if you're aware of it but here is a great trick to do when sketching digitally, because it is slanting to the left. Flipping the entire image horizontally makes it so you can easily see things like that. It's also a useful trick for getting proportions and things right.
    Thanks! And yeah, my drawings are always skewed (even on paper, because I draw at an odd angle due the way I grip the pen). I'll clean it up when I start the next draft, definitely flipping the orientation a lot. Right now those poor mountains are in danger of sliding right off!

Wip

Update. Bit of color added and perspective straightened, now trying to decide what info to include as I move it to Photoshop for text and tidying. My idea is to present it as a sort of survey, with geological info and major features marked, along with elevation, speed (these islands are drifting), and whatever else might seem relevant.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C0FA7315-C6A4-4CBE-A3A1-C330BF20B23A.jpeg 
Views:	70 
Size:	2.50 MB 
ID:	107713

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast