Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: June 2018 Challenge: Bison

Hi all,

Second update. I had a some time to work on this while I was offline. I'm nearly finished I think. Couple of details here and there and then I'm going to add some 'hand written' notes belonging to a cow puncher who got hold of the map

Thanks again for looking. Enjoy.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bison.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.58 MB 
ID:	107985

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

This looks great! I like the added description/backstory. Is the 8 supposed to be merged into the words? If not, you might want to shift it up very slightly, since it's overlapping the word "in."

I didn't even notice the cacti at first - very cool!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I agree; this turned out very nicely. I love the names too - Kerrigan's Bluff sounds like the name of a Clint Eastwood movie.

Nice colors and shadows there, and I love how you shown the elevation. The simple lines works very well too !
    Maybe you could make a slight edit to the effects on the description text to make it easier to read ?

Quote Originally Posted by aeshnidae View Post
    This looks great! I like the added description/backstory. Is the 8 supposed to be merged into the words? If not, you might want to shift it up very slightly, since it's overlapping the word "in."
    Thanks Aesh and very good spot The perils of grabbing a few layers to drag around and leaving bits out! Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I agree; this turned out very nicely. I love the names too - Kerrigan's Bluff sounds like the name of a Clint Eastwood movie.
    Thanks so much Diamond I'm constantly trying to evoke this type of response with my place names and I'm delighted to hear you say that. And I really like the word bluff on western maps for its dual meaning. Bison's the sorta town that could do with a Clint Eastwood type, I don't doubt it!

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Nice colors and shadows there, and I love how you shown the elevation. The simple lines works very well too !
    Maybe you could make a slight edit to the effects on the description text to make it easier to read ?
    Thanks Beee! I'm glad you like the elevation as this was the bit I spent most time trying to find a solution I was happy with. I've also edited the descriptive text to reflect your advice. I hope it's a bit clearer now. Thanks again

I think this map is finished now. This was a lot of fun for me in fleshing out more of my personal world.

The map below was printed in 1842(descension) and belongs to a young cow puncher working in the region. Looks like he's already had some experience of fighting the liches and vesps, or the 'crawling bastards' as he calls them. And it seems as though he's no stranger to dispensing some 'frontier justice' on the local shanga population also. Unfortunately.

Hope you enjoy my map and best of luck to everyone entering the challenge this month

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bison.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	2.72 MB 
ID:	108029

The text is way more readable now, Weery : good job for the whole map !
    Hehe, "Bandit's Delight" made me laugh ^^

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default great map

I really like this map, the addition of the handwritten notes are a very nice touch.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Well heck, now I want to know why the big guy who killed the Parkmann twins didn't put up a fight!

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    The text is way more readable now, Weery : good job for the whole map !
    Hehe, "Bandit's Delight" made me laugh ^^
    And thank you for the advice Beee, glad you liked the map and my attempts at witty place names

Quote Originally Posted by Acacia Rose View Post
    I really like this map, the addition of the handwritten notes are a very nice touch.
    Thanks AR, I'm glad you liked it and I appreciate the feedback on the notes. It was an attempt to reveal more character of the world

Quote Originally Posted by aeshnidae View Post
    Well heck, now I want to know why the big guy who killed the Parkmann twins didn't put up a fight!
    Thanks Aesh, would it count if I said he didn't put up a fight to add a bit of mystery to the map I suspect I was channeling a bit of The Green Mile here... Most likely though, the poor shanga was lynched in the wrong and defied the mob with his silent dignity

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12