Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June 2018 Challenge: Bison

Wip June 2018 Challenge: Bison

Hi all,

I didn't think I'd have time to enter a challenge this month (and may not yet find time to complete it) but the theme for this month was so suited to part of my world building project that I couldn't resist.

It's all very WIP at the minute but here's a frontier town named Bison from the continent Rushmore.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BisonWIP.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	107666

I'm afraid I won't get to be on here to reply to any messages as often as I'd like during the coming days but even so, thanks for looking and commenting (if you do).

Talk to you soon

hmm for a frontier town, it's very squarely disposed, was it founded by a roman camp builder?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruisseau View Post
    hmm for a frontier town, it's very squarely disposed, was it founded by a roman camp builder?
    Hi Ruisseau,

Thanks so much for taking an interest in my map

Of course it wasn't founded by a roman camp builder, that would be ridiculous and only demonstrate my ignorance regarding the use of grids for town planning This link here might help explain the use of the grid more clearly in frontier USA:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grid_p..._United_States

Let me extract one sentence; "In the westward development of the United States, the use of the grid plan was nearly universal in the construction of new settlements..."

Thanks again for your interest in my map, I'm delighted it managed to get you back posting on CG after 8 years

What is also universal is the use of the grid in various forms, by many cultures across the ages. Infact in pretty much any situation where a town is wholly or partly planned out in advance, it is going to be a grid. =P
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yeah, if you're just starting from scratch on a town, it makes good sense to use a grid. It's only the real old/many-times-rebuilt/weird geography ones that don't follow that pattern, and even there, newer sections probably do.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Yeah, if you're just starting from scratch on a town, it makes good sense to use a grid. It's only the real old/many-times-rebuilt/weird geography ones that don't follow that pattern, and even there, newer sections probably do.
    I grew up in Edmonton, a city so gridlike you can use the addresses of places to find place them on the grid exactly. In Israel they can't build a straight road for love nor money. Tel Aviv, a city basically built during the last century on flat ground, is a flipping maze. For no reason. Without Waze driving around Tel Aviv it is impossible for anyone not used to it. But literally everywhere here is like that, new neighborhoods go up in the coastal plains and they make the roads loopdy loop and dead end and do all sorts of weird stuff and slalom through dead flat ground with no obstacles...

(And to add insult to injury many of the long roads -even major ones- don't maintain one name along their entire length.)
    Last edited by Falconius; 06-10-2018 at 09:04 PM.

I just looked at the map of Tel Aviv and it looks like how my roads look in the game Cities: Skylines when I intentionally try to break up the grids. That is pretty amusing. =P
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Lol yeah. It doesn't matter though, even when they use grids here it just doesn't work for some reason So might as well make things interesting.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    (And to add insult to injury many of the long roads -even major ones- don't maintain one name along their entire length.)
    Roads in the Washington, DC area also love changing their names, sometimes repeatedly. And while downtown DC is a lovely grid, the rest of the DC metro area map looks like someone dropped a massive pot of spaghetti on a table. I definitely miss the easy-to-navigate planned grid towns of Colorado!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Humans are weird. I guess we needlessly complicate things when we don't have to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast