Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer Palace pavilion

Map Summer Palace pavilion

I've been so busy with client work since February. I feel like i have missed a lot here at the Guild.
    It's always a tough balance between work.. and well, everything else. I work too much.
    I need to get back to the Guild city section. Maybe this coming weekend.

Anyhoo, this one started life as a simpler quick commission for a regular client a few years back who needed a quick setting for a personal gaming session.
    I pulled it out the other day and decided to give it a polish and make some changes to it.
    That got me thinking about what people might like for their game sessions.
    I have some other game locations projects that are at various levels of completion and wanted to see if this was something people would want to support.

So I'm starting with this one. On social media sites I'll post a decent but lower res version and direct people to patreon to grab a larger res version.
    Patrons will get even larger versions of each one, outside and inside. Maybe that will be part of what I do each month, along with other random things.
    There are many projects I work on at different times and so I tend to have a bit of an assortment at any given time.

This map is not gridded, but can be if people want or need that.

If you enjoy this stuff and find it useful, please consider supporting these sorts of individual artist projects, mine or others. It helps a lot.
    Thanks to all of my patrons.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Summer Palace pavilion 2018[lores] by sirinkman.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	107739

I saw this one over on DeviantArt. It's very nice, John. I particularly like the vibrant colours and the shadows indoors. The rooftiles must have taken ages!

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    I saw this one over on DeviantArt. It's very nice, John. I particularly like the vibrant colours and the shadows indoors. The rooftiles must have taken ages!

Wingshaw
    Thanks George
    They did take a lot longer than I wanted.
    I started doing the tiles like I always do - individually.
    Then I remebered that I had made a brush when I did the village of Marmenadir a while back.
    So I found and used that brush. That said, it still took hours to do all of the roofs - lines, color, light, shadow, grunge.
    It's a process. Sometimes I do question my sanity.

I need to work on some more useful brushes and some variations on brushes.
    I also need some other way to manage all of my random brush creations.
    I tend to forget about older brushes I made.

Great to hear you're on Patreon now John. I wish you all the best with it. In my opinon, If someone should be freed from the hardships of commisioned work to let the remarkable talent and creative juices flow freely for the greater good, it is you!
    The Palace has so much detail and character and it seems to fit perfectly next to your Umi No Toride Castle map. I love that your maps have this great balance of detail/charme of your personal style and playability/functionality and to me it seems perfect for roleplaying games.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

VERY nice. I love the bridge and the little 'lily pond'. I call a piece successful when I can put myself there with no difficulty; I'd love to enjoy a glass of lemonade on one of those decks.

This is top notch, absolutely wonderful, I could pour over the details for hours.

Thanks for sharing, J.E, I admire your work very much so.

Blog Entries

That's beautiful and such a nice location choice and layout! I love even just the idea behind it - the pavilion on an island with a winding dock surrounding water garden, the stone stairs cut out of the island rock. Wow!

Also those roof tiles!
    Mapping blog, my maps mixed with the maps of many other people: https://oldearthmapping.tumblr.com
    Avatar by the fantastic Brian Farrar: https://artblaster.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Lafia View Post
    Great to hear you're on Patreon now John. I wish you all the best with it. In my opinon, If someone should be freed from the hardships of commisioned work to let the remarkable talent and creative juices flow freely for the greater good, it is you!
    The Palace has so much detail and character and it seems to fit perfectly next to your Umi No Toride Castle map. I love that your maps have this great balance of detail/charme of your personal style and playability/functionality and to me it seems perfect for roleplaying games.
    Thanks Abu
    Glad to see you back around the Guild
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    VERY nice. I love the bridge and the little 'lily pond'. I call a piece successful when I can put myself there with no difficulty; I'd love to enjoy a glass of lemonade on one of those decks.
    Thanks D Maybe if my insanity level increases some, I'll take a stab at the Summer Palace itself
    Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    This is top notch, absolutely wonderful, I could pour over the details for hours.

Thanks for sharing, J.E, I admire your work very much so.
    Thanks so much Adfor
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEarth View Post
    That's beautiful and such a nice location choice and layout! I love even just the idea behind it - the pavilion on an island with a winding dock surrounding water garden, the stone stairs cut out of the island rock. Wow!

Also those roof tiles!
    hehe, yes, the roof tiles were a chore.
    Thanks OldEarth

Hmm, really lovely ! I mostly love the bridge too, and the roof is incredible. It makes me think... you're not reasonable, and I think it's one of the best quality for the job

Splendid! I love your mastery of colors .
    And the details are - indeed like usual - crazy .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast