Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Sundered World, a weird map

Map A Sundered World, a weird map

Hi fellow Guildmates,

I've been away from the forums lately due to my come back to work after the knee surgery a while back, my baby girl getting in her daddy phase (that one I really enjoy) and me being buried neck deep in a huge commission.

A month ago, I've been contacted by the french RPG publisher 500 Nuances de Geek to draw the map for A Sundered World, a TTRPG derived form the game Dungeonworld and powered by the apocalypse, a pretty fun system.

One month deadline for an A2 map (420 x 594 mm) with a 8hitload of illustration while going back to work was pretty frightening but I love what those guys do (they even translate and publish lots of indie game through their Tipeee - a french Patreon - volunteerly !!!) so, I had to say yes.

I've been clawing my way out of skulls (every map seeds some), dead gods, broken temples, spider webs (had been practicing for some time), bondaged demons (I looked up some pretty strange stuff to get it right and my wife helped me with classical art ...), scary fish corpse, space stuff (the Interstellar like black hole took 3 full hours by himself !), swords and hammers (oh I loved these !), a tiny dragon (loved it too) and floating islands. I even managed to pull a Thurian !!! ... and I'm so proud of it

The tight deadline pushed me to make quick decisions, to try new things without secondguessing myself too much and kicked me out of my comfort zone illustration-wise. I'm happy with the result even if, given another month, I'd have made different artistic choices and added tons more of details but I have no regret.

Funny thing ... due to a clumsy tired brain, I set my canvas for a bigger size, A1 (594 x 840 mm), and inflicted to myself a double dose of details... Oh, and I painted it at 400 % zoom too. Oh sweet masochism ...

Here comes an A4 version where you can still see everything. Feel free to tell me what you think, every comment or critic is welcome.

© Thomas Rey - 2018 - All rights reserved

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Post A4.jpg 
Views:	2222 
Size:	4.97 MB 
ID:	107743
    Last edited by ThomasR; 06-12-2018 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Forgot the map

So creative! One hell of a cool map, well done!

Guild Expert

This is awesome Thomas, it turned out really well, great job.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

Damn, what a comeback Thomas! This is a freaking awesome map. Rich with symbolism and so much to discover... Beside all these fantastic (and sometimes creepy) illustrations, i love the overall composition with the floating islands and the "Thurian" planet (you can be proud of it indeed!). As you might guess, i am thrilled to see that new sort of mountains with these lovely hatches (don't want to know how many hours it took, including the "under-cliffs" of the islands oO ) Congratulations on finishing this massive commission.
    Rep is on it's way... (Edit: damnit, i seem to be too niggardly with repping lately :/ )
    Take care,
    Martin
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Awesome Thomas I'm happy to finally see this thing in its entirety.
    There's a lot of coolness going on in there. Nods.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Dang, man. That's a helluva lot of work, but the result is mind-blowing. I especially love the fleet of coffins - vampire invasion in the making?

edit: and of course I can't rep you.

Yeah, that is indeed a comeback. Kick and enter with a stomp. This is one of the most creative maps i have seen in a while. Really good job. I will come back with the rep.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Amazing Thomas, so much GOOD! Crazy good details!

Aaah ! I saw tiny pieces of this one on your Instagram account recently and here we are : the final version. The stunning final version ! Tu t'es surpassé !!
    Congrats for this commission, congrats for the big work, and welcome back !

Impressive ! So... this is the reason why you were mostly quiet at the guild this last weeks .
    I love this, there are so many things to look at. And the layout/view is pure genius!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast