Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: City of Kingkel

Default City of Kingkel

Hi Guild !

Started in January, but took my time for this project I had the opportunity to draw for the author Laura Mair.

Kingkel is an important city in Aetherin, a continent that was cartographied by DanielHasenbos before here.
    The city needed to show two distinct areas : the "old town" North of the river, with several poor areas, medieval look, twisted streets, two ranges of old fortifications, etc., and the "new town", South of the river, which is a much modern city with wider and more organized streets and better fortifications. Both are surrounded with a rich country, many fields (and beehives !), etc.
    At the begining of the project, we decided to oversize the streets to put names in a second hand, but finally the author changed her mind on that point, so I filled the streets with tiny people instead (you know how I love tiny people ! :p).

Some information :
    - Commissionned work for Laura Mair,
    - A3 size,
    - Created in Photoshop,
    - Hand drawn with a Wacom Cintiq Pro 16,
    - WIP thread here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kingkel_by_MistyBeee.jpg 
Views:	3753 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	107750

The city itself is done, but we plan to work soon on an extended version with a wide frame all around the town, featuring information about the main buildings, important families, guilds, etc., so the WIP thread will continue later this year

Hope you'll enjoy !

(Confession time : while every building is absolutely unique and hand drawn, I cheated : two or tree boats and some tiny-tiny horses are duplicate : shame on me ! ).

I said it over on the WIP thread but I'll say it again here, too: this is breath-taking, MistyBeee. Every aspect of this map is fantastic, from the fine detail on individual buildings, to the layout (which I think looks highly 'realistic'), through to the colour, shading and texture. This map makes the city really look alive, and makes it easy to imagine oneself there, in those streets, dodging the horse carts and marvelling at the architecture. I'm looking forward to the continuation of this map very much

Bravo MistyBeee! Bravo! This is going straight into my inspiration folder.

[Edit: can't rep you right now - hardly surprising when your output is always so good]

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Very impressive!! How lond did it take?

Outstanding city Bee. I have to come back with the rep later.

Drawing so many iso buildings gives me a headache, i can never find the patience within me to go with something like this, hence my even bigger admiration.
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

As I already said, this is gonna be a model to follow for a lot of us !
    Thanks again for the WIP and the post here.

Epic and perfectly done, even if you cheated with the boats and horses (how could we not forgive when the pasted element is so well done? And I probably wouldn't have noticed before looking at the map for the 300th time ).

I'm sure people already told you you are a mad woman but that's for our pleasure. Congrats on slaying the beast, it's gorgeous

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    I said it over on the WIP thread but I'll say it again here, too: this is breath-taking, MistyBeee. Every aspect of this map is fantastic, from the fine detail on individual buildings, to the layout (which I think looks highly 'realistic'), through to the colour, shading and texture. This map makes the city really look alive, and makes it easy to imagine oneself there, in those streets, dodging the horse carts and marvelling at the architecture. I'm looking forward to the continuation of this map very much
    Bravo MistyBeee! Bravo! This is going straight into my inspiration folder.
    [Edit: can't rep you right now - hardly surprising when your output is always so good]
    Thank you Wingshaw !! One of the best part of the job was to imagine stories about the places I was drawing (and I had ton of time to imagine stories there !

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    Very impressive!! How lond did it take?
    Thanks Sapiento ! My time tracker tells 202 hours now. Huge, but I can't imagine how I could have done quickier !

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Outstanding city Bee. I have to come back with the rep later.
    Drawing so many iso buildings gives me a headache, i can never find the patience within me to go with something like this, hence my even bigger admiration.
    Hehe, thanks Voolf ! Actually I'm quite surprised myself : I was never bored while drawing this map, it was never a pain (except for the forests : thus it's a very small part of the map, it was a real pain !). I would have sworn I would hate this map at the end, but to be honest I would sign immediately for drawing something similar now !

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    As I already said, this is gonna be a model to follow for a lot of us !
    Thanks again for the WIP and the post here.
    Epic and perfectly done, even if you cheated with the boats and horses (how could we not forgive when the pasted element is so well done? And I probably wouldn't have noticed before looking at the map for the 300th time ).
    Actually, the client looked at every inch of the map (and found one tiny cow I forgot to color !) so I'm glad I was picky for the details !
    And thanks a lot for the kind words, and for the rep !

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    I'm sure people already told you you are a mad woman but that's for our pleasure. Congrats on slaying the beast, it's gorgeous
    "Stubborn" and "mad" comes often, I must admit. "Patient" too, hopefully. And thanks a lot for the rep, Thomas ! Always appreciate, as you know !

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

I can't rep you again yet but I am in love with this map.

Blog Entries

As I said before this is just stunning and stunningly detailed! It's beautiful!

I don't have enough words for it... I'll pull out my poor french and just say magnifique!
    Mapping blog, my maps mixed with the maps of many other people: https://oldearthmapping.tumblr.com
    Avatar by the fantastic Brian Farrar: https://artblaster.tumblr.com

*low whistle* Jeez, you continue to impress and then some. Your colors are a bit too muted for my taste, but your clean, careful linework is something that I have such an admiration for I can't even express it. The scope of this city is just astounding. I honestly don't know how you do it!

Yet another Beee masterpiece!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast