Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: June 2018 Challenge: Pirates, Cannibals, & Orcs, Oh My!

Default June 2018 Challenge: Pirates, Cannibals, & Orcs, Oh My!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pirates, Cannibals, & Orcs, Oh My! by Ian Ringler.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	401.2 KB 
ID:	107787
    My very first entry into the monthly mapping challenge, hooray!

Done in full ink, started yesterday at work to pass the time, and finished this morning with my coffee.

This is actually an aligning of the stars in a way, as my Pathfinder campaign is based in frontier lands, and this was extra fun to map because it is off the current map that I am basing my world in. This really gave me a chance to try some new techniques that I've been picking up here on this wonderful forum, thanks - Max - for the mountain technique!

---

Cuttler's Cove is your slummy pirate gathering, obviously run by the infamous Cuttler, leader of the Bloody Freeboots; one particularly nasty corsair whom has avoided the Praxian navy for decades.

Tor and Nad are to be small village style settlements, every-plagued by the Bloody Fist orc tribe that stymie the area.

And of course, what fun would the frontier be without cannibalistic mountain neanderthals, right?!? No particular clans, just a bunch of knuckle-dragging subhumans with a taste for the flesh of their own kin, fun times.

I hope you enjoy, this was a fun one to sketch out, I think it could be great with some color, maybe..

-IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 06-21-2018 at 11:31 AM.

Great work!!
    Compact but clear, I like how you melt your forest with your hills.
    You definitely have my vote!

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Nice work, Adfor. Don't forget to reformat your post with the ### Latest WIP ### in front of/above the map, otherwise it won't show up in the thumbnail pic scraper and folks won't see it when it's time to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by fol2dol View Post
    Great work!!
    Compact but clear, I like how you melt your forest with your hills.
    You definitely have my vote!
    Thank you so much, fol2dol! It was purely experimental, I'm glad it caught your eye!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Nice work, Adfor. Don't forget to reformat your post with the ### Latest WIP ### in front of/above the map, otherwise it won't show up in the thumbnail pic scraper and folks won't see it when it's time to vote.
    Thanks, Diamond! Updated, and I'll remember that for next time, haven't been on a forum in a good while.

Welcome in the battle ground, Adfor !
    This is a really great map for your start here, and I love your style a lot !

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Welcome in the battle ground, Adfor !
    This is a really great map for your start here, and I love your style a lot !
    Thank you so much Misty! It means a lot, and touche, because your work on Kingkel is probably the most astounding city map I've ever had the pleasure to look at! Oh and I may have 80% of the coloring done, with a new medium that has turned out super cool, can't wait to share!

Very nice work! Very "adventure map" .

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Very nice work! Very "adventure map" .
    Thanks Ilanthar! It means a lot!

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pirates, Cannibals, & Orcs, Oh My! With Color! by Ian Ringler.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	512.1 KB 
ID:	107938
    It's finished, hazzah!

So the new medium I tried for color were Prismacolor Watercolor color pencils, and what an odd medium it is. Half the consistency of paint, and half chalk when wet, and acts like a regular color pencil when dry. I really enjoyed how well the color flew onto the paper with these, though at the same time they can be very sloppy if you're not careful. The colors turned out very vibrant, which I was happy with, and the consistency helps to be able to do things like ocean texturing without too much effort. While not "true" watercolors, I still would recommend them for their ease of use, as they are different than any other color medium I've tried!

A few things were added since the "rough" sketch. Namely the Mourning Sea, a small border on the bottom of the scale for make it look fuller, and a small string of islands.

I hope you enjoy the colors, they turned out quite bright!

-IR
    Last edited by Adfor; 06-21-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Adfor, your attachment doesn't work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast