Thread: Hi everybody :)

Default Hi everybody :)

Hi folks. I'm a long-time lover of fantasy maps and RPG player/GM. I'm starting to get a bit more time on my hands, and I'm keen to start exploring fantasy cartography. I have virtually no resources at the moment, so I will be popping up here and there to ask dumb beginner questions in order to get started.

Probably one of the first questions I have is: is it worth getting a purpose-made software suite like Campaign Cartographer 3? Or are more generic programs better? As a beginner, I assume that something like CC3 will give me a good range of options, and allow me to stay focused on the goal of map-making. Interested to hear anybody's opinions on this.

Anyhow, looking forward to starting this new hobby!

Cheers,

Hewy

Gee whiz, so I've downloaded GIMP and got stuck into some tutorials... what a wealth of knowledge some folk have shared for noobs like me! Getting a sense of the community already, really enjoying it

Hi, and welcome to the Guild!

I'm glad you've discovered the tutorials area. I'd try working through a few of those and see how you go, then you can decide if CC3+ might suit you better. If you have questions, just ask and I'm sure someone can help.

Looking forward to seeing some of your maps.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thanks Chickpea I've just posted up my first ever map in GIMP, made in a hurry for a D&D game, but I'm learning a lot from the tutes already. I put in in the Finished Maps section, maybe I should have put it here... Oh well.