Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: City of Kingkel - by MistyBeee

Absolutely beautiful. I think I just found a style I would like to try with my own city maps.

Blog Entries

This map is completely AMAZING! I told you before on insta, and now here! I love maps where you can lost hours looking on details...
    You become one of my favs since I saw this map! I hope to see more like this, very inspiring!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerron View Post
    Absolutely beautiful. I think I just found a style I would like to try with my own city maps.
    Thanks a lot, Jerron ! ^^

Quote Originally Posted by FranCobasGC View Post
    This map is completely AMAZING! I told you before on insta, and now here! I love maps where you can lost hours looking on details...
    You become one of my favs since I saw this map! I hope to see more like this, very inspiring!
    Thanks so much, Fran ! I have a huge city map in mind for a while and just need time and courage to start it... but in the meantime I'm working on a village map for this month's challenge in a roughly similar style if you're interested ^^

Question So beautiful!

So intricate, loads of detail and all so precise. I think it is so gorgeous! <3

Any advice on where and how to start creating a map with this style and look? Would really appreciate it, as I'm a little bit jealous at your skill!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyxeris View Post
    So intricate, loads of detail and all so precise. I think it is so gorgeous! <3

Any advice on where and how to start creating a map with this style and look? Would really appreciate it, as I'm a little bit jealous at your skill!
    Thanks so much, Nyxeris, and welcome to the Guild !

For me the first and most important secret it so start with studying masters. For Kingkel, my main inspiration was Braun & Hogenberg maps and I can't count how many hours I spent looking at every tiny building and comparing their map with modern ones.
    Having some knowledge in perspective can help, and it's also good to know your tool and be comfortable with, whatever it's pen and paper or drawing tablet & computer. It's a good idea to try your hand on a small map : a village, or just a portion of a town, just to check what works, what are the difficulties, and have a first idea of where you're going. Even a 2*2 inches sampler can do the trick.
    Regarding the mapping work itself, try to keep things simple and organise your tasks in a logical order :
    Start with a rough sketch for basic placement, and then go for the linework, firstly with structural elements like the river & natural constraints, then walls and major buildings, then houses, gardens and minor elements.
    No need to focus too much on color before the linework is done, but when it's time to think about it, same advice : keep it simple. Kingkel roughly uses 6 colors only, with slight opacity/saturation variations.
    Once you have your base colors, it's time for shading. It can be tricky for start, but can be beaten with a good method : always keep in mind where's your light source and try to be logical. The best advice I can give you for it is to keep your eyes open on what you see in your own real world town in a sunny day : where's the sun, and where are the shadows ?
    Finally, always try to step back : between two steps, let the map rest for a night ot at least while you have a walk outside, and then try to look at it with a fresh eye to spot mistakes or things you could do better. Mirror the map is a good trick as well.
    Hope it helps

I legit want this hanging on a wall in my house on like, singed parchment paper with a fancy border. it looks so real, like you pulled it out of a monastery!

Quote Originally Posted by geekinlikeaboss View Post
    I legit want this hanging on a wall in my house on like, singed parchment paper with a fancy border. it looks so real, like you pulled it out of a monastery!
    Aww, thanks so much, Geek', and welcome to the Guild aswell !
    I'm not sure about the parchment paper, but you can get a print of the map on my InPrnt shop if you're interested

Guild Novice

Your ability to inject so much detail and character into your maps consistently blows me away! Well done Mistybeee!
    I actually just picked up two of your gorgeous maps from thehighlandloch and can't wait to hang them up in the studio!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456