Thread: World map for my DnD campaign

Map World map for my DnD campaign

This is a world map of Mazmorra, the world I created for my DnD campaign. The map is made in Inkarnate, the numbers are added in Corel Painter.

I use the numbers in my mediawiki, they are clickable links which bring you to the page about the specific area, village or country. I have some more detailed maps from certain locations of the world. Avon'dir is a more detailed area as is Independent State.

We are playing 3 campaigns in this world at the moment. One at the Avon'dir Area, one in Independent State and one in an area of which I have no detailed map yet. I hope you like my first try at mapmaking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mazmorra.jpg 
Views:	678 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	108939
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Independent State.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	108940   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avondir.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	108941  
    Last edited by DutchPainter; 07-25-2018 at 04:58 PM.

Guild Novice

First try ever?

It's awesome. Love the detail and all the different colours.

yes, first try ever but I draw and paint an make stuff all my live, so i have some experience in other related areas

Guild Novice

I have a BA in Fine Art and I'm still nowhere as good as that! Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff

O, well, thank you I hope I will not disappoint you in the future
    I am quite new here, not sure if I can post my buildings with interior at this forum as well?

It is pretty good for a first map. Although, you used styles that more or less fit together.

My main criticism is that the rivers are completely wrong.
    You can find more information here : https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ead.php?t=3822

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Avondir.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	3.44 MB 
ID:	108970

In short, the problem is that the rivers never split, except in a delta. While deltas can be common, they happen near the coasts (usually) and are fairly small compared to the total length of the river.
    Lakes only have one outlets. They can have several temporarily like during a flood, but it is never permanent.
    While it is possible for a river to flow in two directions at the same time, it is extremely rare and even then it's just just temporary.

On your map, I've added some guideline/suggestion to make the flow of water more realistic.

But the world map was more problematic.
    There are a lot of land surrounded only by narrow bodies of water. I'm not sure if they are supposed to be rivers because when land is entirely surrounded by water. If these are supposed to be rivers, you have to split them, otherwise it is an archipelago like Japan or Indonesia.

Another is that you have a few lowlands where again the water flow in several directions. I assume these are salt marshes like Southern Louisiana, half flooded by sea water.

Hi Azélor,

thank you for your reply.
    Your notes on my map make it very clear what you mean. I will keep this in mind for the next set of maps.
    On the world map I indeed wanted to make something like an archipelago. I wasn't sure how to call it, but I think it is an archipelago.

As soon as it is not that warm here in the Netherlands anymore, I will give it another try.

Hot as it makes your GPU melt?

Yes indeed, i have a docking station with 2 monitors and the monitors started to stop working, my laptop was very hot. It is really warm in the Netherlands at the moment. And most people don’t have airco. So I am not going to use my laptop for the moment. Will have to do with a tablet.

Guild Applicant

Default Great Map

Love this map, great first attempt. Really like the numbers, as they make me want more.
    Can't wait to see more!