Thread: June / July '18 Lite Challenge: The Map of Life

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Default June / July '18 Lite Challenge: The Map of Life

When I saw the title for this month long challenge I began trying to come up with a cool idea of a journey that I would be interested in mapping. While many ideas initially came to mind, none of them had the 'feel' or sparked my interest. Then I thought of life itself. Each person's life is a somewhat unique path/journey/trip and if the events could be laid on a map it may have a rather cool appearance.

So the idea I have for this map is to come up with numerous events/occurrences that happen during people's lives (though more focused on the emotional side) and then name a specific landscape feature after them. For example, The Marsh of Misfortune, Ocean of spilled tears, Ruined dreams (river), Jungles of Joy, Forest of Famine, Desert of lost paths, Clouds of Missed Chances etc.

Then, I will have paths crossing all over the map connecting between themselves and the different areas, helping to show how complex each life is and how they could just go in circles, take meandering routes (especially in the desert of lost paths), or no paths whatsoever (like for the clouds of missed chances). Also, I was thinking that it would be cool if not the whole map was shown (meaning that it would continue under the map's border), giving the idea that this is not everything, that there are other routes not depicted in this section.

Around the map I would then put a border showing a bunch of living creatures/plants. I have started this below but since everything so far is in pencil the scanner did not pick it up too well. I added some text in paint to help describe what everything is. (Also, I was exceptionally lazy when it came to cropping this map. As such there is a lot of white space in addition to faded pencil)

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st draft life map.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	864.9 KB 
ID:	107894

Any comments, ideas, or criticism for this concept would be gratefully accepted. Also, I would just like to ensure that this fits in the challenge's criteria. As life is a journey I thought it would but since it does not really relate to the examples given I would just like to double check before I get too far .

Guild Adept Facebook Connected Mimine's Avatar

Very nice idea, Arimel! As for the criteria, I think that with a theme like mapping a journey, there can be so many possibilities that it's impossible to determine what is good or bad. I think mapping goes sometimes out of just lines and mountains and forests and it must be filled with creativity! Can't wait to see your work!
    Si tu n'as rien fait pour ton rêve aujourd'hui, est-ce que c'est vraiment ton rêve? - Fred Pellerin

Twitter -> https://twitter.com/benoit_janie

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Very cool idea!

(BTW, I deleted your other thread as a duplicate.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mimine View Post
    Very nice idea, Arimel! As for the criteria, I think that with a theme like mapping a journey, there can be so many possibilities that it's impossible to determine what is good or bad. I think mapping goes sometimes out of just lines and mountains and forests and it must be filled with creativity! Can't wait to see your work!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Very cool idea!

(BTW, I deleted your other thread as a duplicate.)
    Thank you both! I am glad the idea works.

(Also I had no clue there was a duplicate so thankyou! )

I love the idea too, and this starting point sounds really promising !
    I read somewhere once we all have 3 major/lifechanging opporunities in a lifetime, which is both a amazing and frightening idea...

I am intrigued by this idea. Sounds really cool
    ...and I really like your vague linework too. Really looking forward to seeing what direction this is going in!

Thanks for joining the challenge Arimel, looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

Thank you for all of your nice comments! I hope I met expectations here!

So here is the final version of the map. It has been complete for several days but I am currently in a no internet zone making it difficult to post the map.
    The map has a rather intricate border showing many living creatures/organisms as well as the title. The actual journey depicted in the map starts at the ‘tree of life’ and ends in the ‘yard of rest’. Many paths run across the map, oversea and overland connecting many of the areas. It would then be possible to run in circles and between the different areas, helping to depict the many different lifestyles/events that occur on earth.
    Enjoy!
    ### Latest WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MAP OF LIFE.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	108223

The map was drawn using copic multiliners (0.1, 0.05), pigma microns (0.5, 1, 2, 3, 5, , and tea (as well as a whole ton of imagination!).

Wow, amazing amount of detail in the map!

This is really nice and some very good place names, too Great job!