Thread: Spherical Map

Wip Spherical Map

Hi all,

I started working on a spherical map in substance painter. The goal is to achieve a equirectangular map I can georeference and derive correct projections for local maps that fit into the greater whole. This is all very much in the beginning, aimed at looking nice rather than overly realistic. Attached a screenshot of the current state.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blackhearts001.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	107918

Looks great! How are you going to generate the equirectangular map? This is exactly the kind of direction my project is headed, please be detailed with your posts. Looks like a great start! How did you get to this point in your project?
    Last edited by Vigilus; 06-20-2018 at 09:13 AM.

Substance Painter allows you to paint on a 3d model with layers not unlike PS. So I took a sphere and UV unwraped it with a ratio of 2:1. I will post a picture, itīs pretty simple. Now I can paint in 3d and painter projects my strokes on the UV Map. If I now take the texture it generates on the UV map I get a pretty decent equirectangular map. Again screenshots to follow. The erosion on the shelves is done in wilbur on a singled out height map for just the shelves. Itīs pretty distorted on the poles because wilbur doesnīt respect the spherical nature ( I donīt know of a software that does for this kind of calculation ). But I think I can get away with it

Spits out a texture like this ( roughness in this example )

Name:	Planetsurface.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	172.7 KB 
ID:	107920

Quote Originally Posted by Troedel View Post
    Substance Painter allows you to paint on a 3d model with layers not unlike PS. So I took a sphere and UV unwraped it with a ratio of 2:1. I will post a picture, itīs pretty simple. Now I can paint in 3d and painter projects my strokes on the UV Map. If I now take the texture it generates on the UV map I get a pretty decent equirectangular map. Again screenshots to follow. The erosion on the shelves is done in wilbur on a singled out height map for just the shelves. Itīs pretty distorted on the poles because wilbur doesnīt respect the spherical nature ( I donīt know of a software that does for this kind of calculation ). But I think I can get away with it
    Awesome!

I'm trying to find a good program to import my .obj file / texture from the 3d globe scan I did (look below in this forum). I'm looking to export the finished product into adobe illustrator. Any tips you have for that are great, I think I found a first rate piece of software (Vectormagic.com) that will do the live tracing better for converting the raster data into vector format.

Any suggestions? I'm still researching this part of the process. Thanks!

Lazy person posting progress... I removed the Wilbur-Step for now and concentrated on some hills and color.

Name:	Planetshot_01.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	108671

I'm liking this
    I was just beginning to mess with wilbur.
    I'll have to try a trial of Substance Painter.

Thank you.

Iīll have to try a trial of Substance Painter
    Absolutely do that! If nothing else itīs fun