This is a WIP I began a few months before joining the Guild. I've been meaning to post the progress, but I just haven't really put the time aside until now.

The Phaeris Empire spans most of the continent of Endaria with the majority of landing being harsh desert or arid badlands. Given the desert theme, I was inspired by old Persian and Arabic designs when conceptualizing this map. I'm no historian, so this is purely art that is focused on the fictional Phaerian culture with Persian and Arabic art influencing certain themes.

This map is based on a different map I did of the continent, so my first draft allowed me to place more emphasis on the Empire's land while also testing a different style.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Phaeris Empire.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	6.44 MB 
ID:	107948

After I tweaked the style a bit, I was happy enough to start adding geographical features. This style is new to me, so here I wanted to experiment with the lines and shapes to get something I like.

Name:	Phaeris Empire 1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	3.30 MB 
ID:	107949

I took a break from the geography to introduce politics to the map. Personally, I would rather leave the borders and territories off of the map, but my DM requested that they be present. The upcoming campaign I'll be playing in will apparently focus on regional politics and clan strife.

Name:	Phaeris Empire 2.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	107950

There was actually another iteration of the map before this one, but the file size was too large to upload and the differences between that iteration and this one were relatively minimal. For the time being, I have removed the coat of arms until I can finalize their design. I have begun adding text, boundries, and prominent landmarks. From here, I'll add shading and highlights to the geography in addition to adding some color to the design on the edge of the map. At the moment, I'm unsure as to whether or not I'll try adding some more color to the map itself. Part of me would love additional color, but part of me also knows that this map could become too distracting if everythings is colored in.
### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Phaeris Empire 4.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	5.95 MB 
ID:	107951

What's left to do?
  • Add color where necessary
  • Finish the pattern along the edges
  • Finish naming the locations
  • Revise the text and text layouts
  • Add some history or regional lore to the upper right box