Thread: Problem with the scripts

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Default Problem with the scripts

I have gimp on linux ubuntu and I wanted to add scripts but I can't. It's only on read access, because I'm not the owner of the file scripts. Someone had the same problem ?

Blog Entries

Are you admin for the ubuntu system ? If you are then you can copy them using sudo or make the scripts owned by the user required via chown.

I think I am for ubuntu. I already tried sudo and chown but I don't know if I am doing this correctly.

If you also happen to use Windows (dual boot) you can get a Linux file explorer, and I'll let you do whatever you want with the files.

No I haven't windows.

I use in line command, chown my name script and also chmod but it doesn't work, it can't find the file. i tried with the patterns too. And all that in sudo or without, I tried too. In short, I don't understand.

You don't need to chown or chmod anything. You place the script files in your home directory. Use the file manager to go to .gimp (there'll be a version number after it) and in there you'll see folders for plugins and scripts. If the scripts have .py extensions then you need to put them in plugins. If you don't see a .gimp directory in your home directory then you need to enable hidden files. In the default file manager there's a button with three horizontal bars on it. Open that and make sure 'Show hidden files' is checked.
    I started a DeviantArt page
    https://strafwibble.deviantart.com/

Another way is to put your scripts in a directory (I use a directory called "My Scripts")
    and tell GIMP to look in that directory:

Edit > Preferences > Folders (expand the options) > Scripts

In my case, my Script-Fu folders list contains an entry "E:\GIMP resources\Scripts and Plug-ins\- My Scripts"

I find having my personal brushes, scripts, fonts, patterns, etc. in a different directory structure in my
    'projects' partition (drive) makes it a lot easier to make changes and keep track of what I've modified.
    Last edited by bkh1914; 07-01-2018 at 07:14 PM. Reason: add example

Oh I haven't thinking about that, thank you bkh1914
    I think it's a very good idea