Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: June / July '18 Lite Challenge: Roland's Journey

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Thank you, Diamond! I'm very happy with this map, and now I'm feeling inspired to get back to work on my first DT map (I finished it for the challenge but I knew it needed some improving).

It looks great aeshnidae. I read a lot of Stephen King's earlier works, I liked The Stand the best, but I have not read anything in years. I never met him, but when he was in college, he was friends with a couple of my fraternity brothers the year before I went to U. Maine. One of the reasons I liked The Stand was he mentions a number of locations in southern Maine that are in and around my hometown including a building that is 3 doors down from my office.

You gave us a little gem here ! Really nice variety of inspirations here.

It's just so good Aesh and I'm absolutely delighted that you reminded me of the lobstrosity language dad-a-chum!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    It looks great aeshnidae. I read a lot of Stephen King's earlier works, I liked The Stand the best, but I have not read anything in years. I never met him, but when he was in college, he was friends with a couple of my fraternity brothers the year before I went to U. Maine. One of the reasons I liked The Stand was he mentions a number of locations in southern Maine that are in and around my hometown including a building that is 3 doors down from my office.
    I'm glad you like it, Bogie! I just got my dad hooked on the Dark Tower series (gave him the box set for Father's Day). He originally said it would take him a while to get started because he has 3 new textbook contracts. Two days later he called me to let me know he finished the first two books and was almost done with the third. Guess writing those textbooks can wait! I'm going to grab that boxed set when he's finished and re-read the whole series.

I'll bet it's a lot of fun being from Maine if you happen to enjoy Stephen King's novels. Did the building 3 doors down from your office get wiped out by the superflu?

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasR View Post
    You gave us a little gem here ! Really nice variety of inspirations here.
    Thanks, Thomas! That means a lot coming from a cartographer of your caliber! I had great fun nerding out and adding little details that Dark Tower fans might notice, such as the raven Zoltan on top of Brown's Hut.

Quote Originally Posted by Weery View Post
    It's just so good Aesh and I'm absolutely delighted that you reminded me of the lobstrosity language dad-a-chum!
    Thanks, Weery! I'm glad I triggered some fond lobstrosity memories for you. I always thought their chatter was a delightfully creepy element and I've never looked at lobsters the same way. A friend recently brought over some live lobsters for me after a trip to Maine. As one tried to escape my lobster pot (really a crab pot, but I don't think the difference mattered to the lobster) and nearly grabbed my thumb, I looked him in the eye-stalks and said, "Dad-a-chum, motherf'er." Don't think he got the reference, but he sure was delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by aeshnidae View Post
    I'll bet it's a lot of fun being from Maine if you happen to enjoy Stephen King's novels. Did the building 3 doors down from your office get wiped out by the superflu?
    At the time of the book being written in 1978 that was Stratham Tires and as Fran Goldsmith and her companions are heading west to join Mother Abigail, they travel down Main Street in my hometown and Fran says her father worked there before he died from the flu. Fran is from Ogunquit, Maine ( about 15 miles away ) and I was a lifeguard there in '74. It is interesting how King mentions real places in Maine in a lot of his books.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123